Home > Academics > Colleges and Schools > College of Education > Special Education & Literacy > Physical Education, Recreation & Health > Degree Programs - Department of Physical Education, Recreation & Health > BA Physical Education Teaching Certification
BA Physical Education Teaching Certification
The Physical Education Teaching Certification Program prepares individuals to teach in public and private elementary and secondary schools. Students can select from two available options:
• Teacher of Health and Physical Education K-12
• Teacher of Physical Education K–12
In addition to preparing students for careers in teaching, this comprehensive and diversified program may also lead them to related careers as coaches in interscholastic programs or as instructors in non-school settings such as community, day-care and fitness centers, as well as private studios and hospitals. The program includes:
• 30 credit hours of professional education courses
• 37 credits of physical education courses or 43 credits of health and physical education courses
• 12 credits of movement forms courses
• Field experience begins in the second year of study and continues throughout the remainder of the student’s college career. Full-day student teaching begins in the senior year in both elementary- and secondary-school settings.
Students successfully completing either option, along with a passing score of the Physical Education and Health Content Knowledge test of the national PRAXIS Examination, will have a Certificate of Advanced Standing in the state of New Jersey. After a one-year, full-time paid teaching position under a mentor in a state accredited school, individuals will receive a Teaching Certificate from the state of New Jersey.
See Resources page for guidesheets.