Home > Academics > Colleges and Schools > College of Natural, Applied & Health Sciences > Joint Programs > Physician Assistant > Degree Requirements - Physician Assistant
Degree Requirements - Physician Assistant
Program Advisor: Dr. Patrick Field
C-133 (908) 737-3667
This Dual Degree Program is a collaborative effort between Kean University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ Piscataway).
The program combines a Bachelor’s degree in Biology and a Master of Science degree in Physician Assistant. The program consists of undergraduate studies at Kean for the BA in Biology degree and graduate studies at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, UMDNJ leading to a Master in Physician Assistant degree. The Dual Degree program is available to students who do not already have a Bachelor’s degree.
Students are admitted into the BA in Biology major/ PA track (minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 required). Students apply to the PA Program by June 1 of their sophomore (44-66 credits accumulated by spring semester) year at Kean, and if accepted, must maintain a 3.00 GPA (on a scale of 4.0, where 4.0 =”A”) through the end of their third undergraduate year. Students apply for admission to UMDNJ through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). Personal interviews will be required of all applicants considered. The interview will serve to determine the applicant’s emotional and intellectual maturity, ability to communicate, and potential to achieve career satisfaction within the Physician Assistant role. Admission to the Biology major/PA track does not guarantee admission into the PA Program at UMDNJ.
If accepted into the Physician Assistant Program, courses taken during the first year at UMDNJ will transfer to Kean to complete the undergraduate degree in Biology at Kean University. At the end of the first year of the PA Program, Kean will confer the BA degree in Biological Sciences; at the end of the two additional years at UMDNJ (or the sixth year) UMDNJ will confer the MS in Physician Assistant.
Students who already have a Bachelor’s degree must contact UMDNJ at (732) 235-4444 and apply directly to the Physician Assistant Program using the online common application process (CASPA).
KEAN UNDERGRADUATE REQUIREMENTS
The undergraduate degree in Biological Sciences at Kean includes the requirements for the Bachelor’s degree as well as the prerequisite courses for application to the PA Program. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (where 4=A) is required for admission into the BA in Biology.
Prerequisite courses to the PA Program include:
- 12 credits in Humanities and/or Social Sciences (three credits must be PSY 1000 General Psychology)
- 6 credits in English (three credits must be Composition) as ENG 1030 College Composition and GE 2024 Research and Technology; 3-4 credits in Mathematics (MATH 1054 Precalculus);
- 8 credits General Chemistry (with lab) as CHEM 1083 and CHEM 1084;
- 8 credits Organic Chemistry lecture and lab, as consecutive semesters of CHEM 2581-2583, and CHEM 2582-2584;
- 8 credits in Biological Sciences (with lab) as BIO 3403 and BIO 3404.
Students will need to complete all general education and major requirements for the undergraduate B.A. Biology degree (PA track) as prescribed by the end of the Spring semester prior to the start of the PA program.
Students will need to complete a minimum of 32 credits at Kean, including one-half of the major requirements, to be eligible for the BA in Biological Sciences degree from Kean University.
APPLICATION TO THE PA PROGRAM
Admission to the PA Program is competitive and through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA). Applications to UMDNJ are made during the spring semester of their sophomore year. All applications are due to CASPAS by June 1st and the notices of acceptance will be made by June 1st (one full year before the anticipated beginning date of the PA Program). Acceptance will be guaranteed at the end of the third year if the applicant maintains a 3.00 GPA, is successful in the interview process, and meets all the requirements for the undergraduate degree before the beginning of the fourth year (first professional year). Acceptance to the program is determined by UMDNJ.
In order to obtain admission, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Overall and science GPA of no less than 3.00 (on a scale where 4 equals A).
- Prerequisites listed above must be completed with a minimum grade of C or better.
- Three completed Recommendation Forms. It is preferable that one recommendation be completed by a college instructor; one by an employment supervisor; and one by an individual who is thoroughly familiar with the applicant’s general characteristics and may be an instructor, counselor, community leader, etc.
- Personal interviews will be required of those applicants being considered for admission. The interview will serve to determine the applicant’s emotional and intellectual maturity, the ability to communicate, and the potential to achieve career satisfaction within the PA role.
THE GRADUATE PROGRAM AT UMDNJ
Applications for the PA program are obtained directly from UMDNJ. Acceptance into the Physician Assistant Program is determined by UMDNJ. The program is an intensive three-year curriculum that is divided into one and one-half years of didactic education and one and-one-half years of clinical rotation. Classes are held on the UMDNJ campus in Piscataway, NJ. Clinical rotations are offered in New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut.
The UMDNJ Physician Assistant Program is located at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. The program has been educating PAs since 1975 and is fully accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). The program is highly ranked nationally, based on the very high passing rate/scores of their graduates on the national certifying exam.
The PA Program consists of 115 credits. Once accepted, students must maintain a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a scale where 4.0=A) at UMDNJ in order to graduate from the Program.
Physician Assistant Program, UMDNJ, 675 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854