Event Planning Process
Scheduling Information for Student Groups
Spring Priority Scheduling for all recognized student groups in good standing with the University will begin on Monday, November 26, 2012. Executive Board members will receive an email with the link to Virtual EMS on November 26, 2012. You are required to open the link and request an account. Please note that your account will be active within 24 hours of your submission. Once your account is activated, you will be permitted to request meeting spaces for the Spring 2013 semester.
STUDENT GROUP MEETINGS
During the priority scheduling period, student groups will be allowed to schedule a maximum of one (1) weekly group meeting.
Please note the following information:
- Additional requests may be submitted after the priority scheduling period has ended on Friday, December 7, 2012.
- Due to the add/drop period during each semester, no classrooms or computer labs will be scheduled for meetings/events until after the 3rd week of academic classes (with the exception of College Hour on Mondays (3:20 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.), Tuesdays, and Thursdays (3:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
- University Center room 228 will only be approved for major programming.
For instructions on reserving student group meeting spaces in Virtual EMS, please click here.
STUDENT GROUP EVENT AUTHORIZATION PROCESS
Requests for events can be submitted through Cougar Link starting on December 7, 2012.
- An Executive Board member of the recognized student group or organization will submit a concept program proposal form on Cougar Link outlining a general layout of the program they would like to implement. For additional event authorization information, please visit http://www.kean.edu/KU/Event-Planning-Process.
- The Director, or designee, of the specific department would review the concept proposal and approve or deny the concept via Cougar Link within three (3) business days by 5 p.m. of receipt of the proposal.
- It is expected that the Director or designee considers the availability of campus resources, risk management, the mission of the University, the impact of the student and external community.
- Use of facilities or grounds must not interfere with or disrupt educational, academic or other University activities.
- For Regular meetings the Executive Board member is required to enter the space request in Virtual EMS.
- For all other Program Types the Event requests will be transferred from Cougar Link into Virtual EMS by an Involvement Specialist.
- For events in the University Center that require a special set up, set up preferences must be submitted to the University Center Administration ten (10) business days prior to the event start date.
- For events that require a special set up in all other locations, the host organization Events Board representative must submit set up preferences to the Office of Campus Planning and Facilities at least ten (10) business days prior to the event start date.
- No changes in set up will be accepted within 24 hours of the event. See examples of room set up and diagrams online at http://www.kean.edu/KU/Reservations.
AUTHORIZATION PROCESS FOR MAJOR PROGRAMS
- Once the concept has received a preliminary approval by the Director or designee, it may be brought to the attention of the Events Board to review and approve. (The Events Board meets on a weekly basis.)
- The Events Board approval is required for Major Programs or those programs/events that meet the following criteria: events that will have external speaker(s) or a DJ; or events that are sponsored by multiple departments or organizations.
- If the Concept is approved, the Executive Board member will be allowed to begin planning the event. (a complete proposal would need to be resubmitted to the Events Board for a final approval; within the designated time lines for the type of program)
- The Events Board will approve or deny the Concept and Final approvals via Cougar Link. (it is important to note that two approvals are required from the Events Board, the Concept approval and Final approval)
FUNDRAISERS AND BAKE SALES
Requests for fundraising lobby spaces can be submitted starting on December 7, 2012.
Please note that due to high demand, student groups are permitted a maximum of four fundraisers (in the six designated lobby spaces) and two Cougar Fairs per semester.
Tabling can be scheduled Monday through Thursday, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the following locations:
- Bruce Hall Lobby
- CAS 1st Floor Lobby
- East Campus Lobby
- Hennings Hall Lobby
- Hutchinson Hall Lobby
- Vaughn Eames Lobby
- University Center Atrium - During Cougar Fairs Wednesdays (10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.) Any student group wishing to reserve space during Cougar Fair MUST complete a Cougar Fair Application and return it to University Center Operations and Event Management office, located in University Center room 6, for approval.
Please note that only non-food items can be sold in the University Center Lobby without special permission.
Definition of Programs Types
- Major Events are defined as, but not limited to, events that have a total budget of over $2,000 (ex: food, entertainment, professional services, security, maintenance, etc…) includes 200 or more people (including entertainment), and/or takes place in the following locations Wilkins Theater, Downs Hall, Harwood Arena and/or exterior University Grounds. These events must be fully approved by the Events Board at least one (1) month in advance of the program.
- Regular Programs are defined as programs with less than 200 people, with possibly bringing in a guest speaker or a faculty member, workshops, trainings etc. and taking place in the University Center, Maxine and Jack Lane Center for Academic Success, and any of the other academic buildings throughout the Kean University campuses. These events must be fully approved by the Director or Designee at least five (5) business days in advance of the program.
If your program meets the following criteria: events that will have external speaker(s) or a DJ; or events that involve collaboration through multiple Departments on campus. These events must be fully approved by the Events Board at least five (5) business days in advance of the program.
- Meetings are defined as traditional office, departmental or club meetings and usually would take place on the University facilities.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the room reservation process, please contact the University Center Operations & Event Management office, located in University Center room 6, by calling 908-737-5200 or emailing email@example.com.
Links and Resources
Vitural EMS - http://events.kean.edu
Cougar Link - http://cougarlink.kean.edu
Events Board Chair:
Director, University Center Operations and Event Management
University Center Room 6
- > University Center Administration
- > Vice President for Student Affairs
- > Department of Public Safety and Police
- > Conference & Event Services
- > Theatre Management and Box Office
- > Center for Leadership and Service
- > Office of Student Government
- > Student Handbook
- > Code of Conduct
- > Policy Statement on Free Speech & Dissent
- > Procedures Governing Commercial Sales
- > Scheduling Priorities, Process and Procedures
- > Use of University Facilities and Grounds
- > Drug and Alcohol Policy
- > Event Planning Process
- > Event Terms and Conditions
- > Instructions for Reserving Meetings
- > Event Terms and Conditions
- > Cougar Link
- > Virtual EMS