Dear Kean University Campus Community,
Keeping you informed about your health and well-being is our upmost concern. Rider and Princeton Universities have reported an outbreak of a “stomach flu” on their campuses the past few weeks. Some of the recent cases have tested positive for norovirus, which is a common virus that causes astroenteritis. While it is usually not serious and most people recover in a few days, gastroenteritis can cause periods of severe illness and can be highly contagious. You can prevent the spread of illness by practicing good hygiene, such as frequent hand washing, and limiting contact with others if sick.
“CDC states that norovirus is highly contagious and spreads from person to person, through contaminated food or water, and by touching contaminated surfaces. Careful hand washing with soap and water is key to the prevention of the spread of norovirus. Contaminated surfaces must be cleaned and disinfected thoroughly to prevent continued spread of the disease.”
Gastroenteritis includes symptoms of diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal cramps. If you are experiencing symptoms please take action to minimize the contagion of the disease. Students residing on campus are advised to come to the Health Services immediately if they are ill. All commuter students, faculty, or staff are advised to stay home and contact their personal physicians for medical assistance.
The following are some guidelines for good hygiene:
- Wash your hands frequently and vigorously with warm soap and warm water, and always after using the bathroom.
- Refrain from close contact with others until symptoms have subsided.
- Do not handle or prepare food for others while experiencing symptoms and for two-to-three days after symptoms subside.
- Increase your intake of fluids, such as tea, water, sports drinks and soup broth, to prevent dehydration.
- Avoid sharing towels, beverage bottles, food, and eating utensils and containers.
- Clean and disinfect soiled surfaces with bleach-based cleaning products.
- Disinfection of frequent touch points, such as doorknobs and restroom fixtures is highly encouraged.
- Clean all soiled clothes and linen. Soiled linen should be washed and dried in the hottest temperature possible or as recommended by the manufacturer.
Health Services Staff