If you have violated your F-1 status and would like to return or transfer to Kean University, you must apply for and be granted reinstatement to F-1 student status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
To apply for reinstatement you must have:

  • A completed Form I-539 (Application to Extend Status/Change Non-immigration Status) with the $290 filing fee (U.S. money order or check made payable to USCIS)
  • A newly obtained I-20 form issued by Kean University
  • Copies of all your previous I-20 forms
  • Photocopy of biographical and photo page of your passport
  • Photocopy of your most recent US visa
  • Original I-94 form. Photocopies not accepted.
  • Evidence of continued funding with financial documentation
  • A written statement requesting reinstatement which explains that the violation of student status resulted from circumstances beyond your control and/or that the failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship. Any documentation that supports your claim should be attached.

For detailed instructions for completing the I-539 form, download here.
For the I-539 form, download here.

Applications for reinstatement must be sent to the USCIS Vermont Service Center.
The address is:

USCIS Vermont Service Center
ATTN: I-539
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479

Remember to keep copies of all documents submitted. A decision to reinstate an individual to F-1 student status is completely at the discretion of the USCIS. If the application is approved, USCIS endorses the new I-20 form and will mail back to you the endorsed I-20 as well as a new the I-94 form. F-2 dependent status is automatically reinstated with the reinstatement of the F-1 student.

Again, if you think you may be out of status, contact the ISS office immediately.

Kean University - 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, New Jersey 07083 - 908-737-KEAN (5326) - Campus Map - Directions - Directory