If you have violated your F-1 status and would like to return or transfer to Kean University, you must apply for and be granted reinstatement to F-1 student status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
To apply for reinstatement you must have:
- A completed Form I-539 (Application to Extend Status/Change Non-immigration Status) with the $290 filing fee (U.S. money order or check made payable to USCIS)
- A newly obtained I-20 form issued by Kean University
- Copies of all your previous I-20 forms
- Photocopy of biographical and photo page of your passport
- Photocopy of your most recent US visa
- Original I-94 form. Photocopies not accepted.
- Evidence of continued funding with financial documentation
- A written statement requesting reinstatement which explains that the violation of student status resulted from circumstances beyond your control and/or that the failure to be reinstated would result in extreme hardship. Any documentation that supports your claim should be attached.
Applications for reinstatement must be sent to the USCIS Vermont Service Center.
The address is:
USCIS Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT 05479
Remember to keep copies of all documents submitted. A decision to reinstate an individual to F-1 student status is completely at the discretion of the USCIS. If the application is approved, USCIS endorses the new I-20 form and will mail back to you the endorsed I-20 as well as a new the I-94 form. F-2 dependent status is automatically reinstated with the reinstatement of the F-1 student.
Again, if you think you may be out of status, contact the ISS office immediately.