Resources & Links
Resources for Certification/ Standards/ NJDOE/ Testing
New Jersey Department of Transportation http://www.state.nj.us/education/
Comprehensive information on teacher licensing, Core Curriculum Content Standards, New Jersey Teacher Standards, NJ Preschool Teaching and Learning Standards-2009, assessment, and all aspects of education in the State of New Jersey.
Educational Testing Services http://www.ets.org/praxis/
Information on Praxis tests, testing dates, and test preparation.
Test Prep Review http://www.testprepreview.com/praxis_practice.htm
Free practice Praxis Test modules
Praxis Test Review http://www.praxisprepinfo.com/
Scholarship Information http://www.scholarshiphelp.org
Clarifies the scholarship process and offers multiple sites for scholarship opportunities.
Resources for First-Year Teachers*
North Central Regional Educational Laboratory http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/at0cont.htm
The North Central Regional Educational Laboratory has created a website for teachers that gives them access to the views of a range of experts on teaching at-risk students. The links contain streaming audio on issues surrounding these students.
Teacher Tools http://www.teachertools.org/index.html
A variety of links to items new teachers will find helpful are included on the Teacher Tools website. They range from links to lesson plans and curriculum-related sites to such useful information as "freebies" and "quick meals for tired teachers."
Teachers' Network - New Teachers Online http://teachersnetwork.org/NTOL/
Among the many resources offered by the Teachers Network is New Teachers Online, a website that features videos, links to lessons plans and information about grants. Some features can be used immediately in the classroom. The site also offers new teachers the support of veteran teachers as Web mentors.
Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory http://educationnorthwest.org/
By Request is a series of pamphlets produced by the Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory between 1996 and 2005. They are now available on the NWREL website. The URL above connects to the booklet on "increasing student engagement and motivation," always a concern for the new teacher.
U.S. Department of Education: Improving Student Performance http://www2.ed.gov/teachers/how/tools/initiative/index.html
The US Department of Education has created this encyclopedic site on improving student performance. You can participate in online discussions, exchange information with mentor teachers, participate in workshops, and read reports concerning reform initiatives and education laws. Updates are available through and email newsletter.
*Collins, J. & Nigro, M. (2008). WebWatch: Don't Reinvent the Wheel: Tools for First-Year Teachers. Phi Delta Kappan: The Journal for Education. V89.N7, p55
Resources for the Classroom
The best on the web for teachers. Includes over 400 sites for rubrics, teaching tools, lesson plans, etc.
Inspiring Teachers http://www.inspiringteachers.com/home/studentteachers.html
Student teacher homepage with practical tips, resources, inspirations
Teaching Heart http://www.teachingheart.net/newteacher.html
Great site with tips on classroom management, portfolios, interviews and resumes, learning centers, etc.
The Educator's Reference Desk http://eduref.org
Brings you the resources you have come to depend on. 2,000+ lesson plans, 3,000+ links to online education information, and 200+ question archive responses.
Dedicated to providing teachers a single shop for educational resources.
Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators http://school.discovery.com/schrockguide/
A categorized list of sites useful for enhancing curriculum and professional growth. It is updated often to include the best sites for teaching and learning.
The Gateway to Educational Materials http://www.thegateway.org
Provides educators with quick and easy access to thousands of educational resources found on various federal, state, university, non-profit, and commercial Internet sites.
Fact Monster.com http://www.factmonster.com/
Offers an online atlas, dictionary, encyclopedia and almanac.
Teacher Vision.com http://www.teachervision.fen.com/
Features seasonal features, articles, free newletters, lesson plans and student activities.
Lesson Plans Page http://www.lessonplanspage.com/
Offers over 2,500 free lesson plans, educator discussion forums and weekly science experiments and math lessons.
Lesson Planz.com http://www.lessonplanz.com/
A searchable directory of free online lesson plans and lesson plan resources for all grades and subjects.
Yahooligans! Teacher Guide http://yahooligans.yahoo.com/tg/
Offers sample lesson plans, activity ideas, teaching resources, and information on internet literacy.
Educational information for new and future teachers in the 21st Century.
An online bulletin board for PreK-8 teachers.
What to Expect Your First Year of Teaching http://www.ed.gov/pubs/FirstYear/title.html
A publication from the U.S. Department of Education.
The Journal http://thejournal.com/Home.aspx
CLASSROOM MANAGEMENT RESOURCES
Behavior Management Advice Site http://www.behavioradvisor.com/
Offers thousands of tips on managing student behavior.
1-2-3- Magic for Teachers: Effective Classroom Discipline Pre-K through Grade 8
Phelan, Thomas W. & Schonour, Sarah J. (2004). ParentMagic,Inc.
Offers online tools and resources to help integrate technology into the classroom.
Educational Technology Clearinghouse http://etc.usf.edu
Groups pages into three sections: Subjects with links to the best of the web sorted by subject and grade level; Resources with links for teachers, administrators, grant-seekers and other members of the educational community; and Reference Desk with quick links to most useful reference sources on the web.
Knowledge Network Explorer http://www.kn.pacbell.com/support/mike/internet-strategies.htm
Strategies and resources for using the internet effectively in the classroom.
ISTE National Technology Standards http://cnets.iste.org/
National standards for educational uses of technology that facilitate school improvement in the United States.
NetDay Compass http://www.netdaycompass.org/
An organized directory of web sites that include education technology information to help you make smart decisions about technology planning, infrastructure, funding, and classroom support. The "Real Stories & Best Practices" section highlights the experiences of other technology decision-makers—their stories provide perspective on what works (and what doesn't!) in schools.
Education World: Technology in the Classroom http://www.education-world.com/a_tech/
Powered by USTeach, is a must for candidates interested in employment opportunities in New Jersey school systems. No cost to job seekers. Candidates seeking jobs in New Jersey school systems are strongly encouraged to enter their resumes into this database.
NJ School Jobs http://www.njschooljobs.com/
Helpful for teachers, coaches, support personnel, and administrators interested in employment opportunities in the state of New Jersey. Exclusively serves NJ schools.
Kean University Career Services http://www.kean.edu/~career/
Provides information on teacher job fairs, workshops on interviewing and creating resumes.
Offers a national job bank database, job hunting tips, and teaching job resources.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AABPERD) http://www.aahperd.org/
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) http://www.aera.net/
- American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education (AACTE) http://www.aacte.org/
- American Chemical Society http://www.chemistry.org/portal/a/c/s/1/home.html
- American Federation of Teachers (AFT) http://www.aft.org/
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI) http://www.acei.org/
- Association for Educational Communications and Technology (AECM) http://www.aect.org/
- Association of Teacher Education (ATE) http://www.ate1.org/pubs/home.cfm
- Conference of American Instructors of the Deaf (CAID) http://www.caid.org/
- Council on Education of the Deaf (CED) http://www.deafed.net/
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) http://www.cec.sped.org/
- International Reading Association (IRA) http://www.reading.org/
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) http://www.iste.org/
- National Art Education Association (NAEA) http://www.naea-reston.org/
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) http://www.naeyc.org
- National Association of the Deaf (NAD) http://www.nad.org
- National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) http://www.ncate.org/
- National Council for Social Studies (NCSS) http://www.ncss.org/
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) http://www.ncte.org/
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) http://www.nctm.org/
- National Education Association (NEA) http://www.nea.org/index.html
- National Middle School Association http://www.nmsa.org/
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) http://www.nsta.org/
- Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages http://www.tesol.org/s_tesol/index.asp
- > TPC Staff
- > FAQ's
- > Resources & Links
- > Advisory Committee
- > Professional Development Schools
- > Field Experience Policies
- > Teacher Work Sample Portfolio
- > Supplemental Program Assessments
- > Job Postings
- > Contact Us
- > Online Assessment Submission
- > Handbooks
- > For Students
- > For Supervisors/ Instructors
- > Calendar
- > For Cooperating Teachers
- > Upcoming Events