UC Forms, Policies & Procedures
Policies and Procedures
- General Fire Safety Policy and Emergency Action Plan
- Kean University Posting Policy
- Kean University Posting Sites
- Kean University Student Party and Special Event Policy and Procedures
- Procedures Governing Distribution of Literature Policy
- University Center Evacuation Plan
University Center Rules and Regulations
In an effort to attain the goals of providing opportunities for student involvement, fostering a sense of a Kean University Community and creating an environment that provides activities and an enjoyable and friendly atmosphere, the following behaviors/activities are prohibited in the University Center and areas under the supervision of the University Center (UC Patio, etc.). Acts of Civility should be observed at all times.
- Setting or fueling a fire of any size.
- Use of fire-fueled or electric grills for cooking on landings or open spaces in the offices or conference rooms within the University Center. The use of flammable materials and heat producing appliances.
- A false report of a fire or other emergency, including pulling a fire alarm station when no safety emergency is evident, and misusing or damaging fire safety equipment.
- Use or manufacture of fireworks, explosives, or any substance designed to injure others or damage property.
- Use of any weapon, e.g. gun, knife, bat, metal pipe, etc. Or the use of any object as a weapon to hurt or maim someone.
- Intentionally or recklessly destroying, damaging or defacing Kean University property.
- Participating in throwing, dropping, causing to fall from a landing or balcony.
- Intentionally or recklessly causing physical harm, or immediate expectation of physical harm, to any person including assault/battery/intentionally or recklessly provoking and/or engaging in physical fights.
- Harassing any person in such a way as to seriously or repeatedly interfere with that person's academic pursuit and/or other personal pursuits. This includes malicious pranks and threats.
- Possession, use, sale distribution or providing marijuana or any controlled substance or illegal drug.
- Distribution, sale or providing alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited on campus.
- Theft of property or services, knowingly possessing stolen property, especially state property.
- Breaking into or entering any locked/secured space including maintenance closets/utility rooms.
- Intentionally, recklessly, or substantially interfering with University Center staff or Kean University officials in the performance of their duties. This includes failure to comply with staff directives, or preventing staff from conducting their normal duties in handling administrative and disciplinary matters.
- No unauthorized distribution of literature.
- No bike riding in any section of the building.
- No rollerblading/skating in any section of the building.
- No animals in any section of the building.
- No smoking in any section of the building.
- Roller Skating, Roller Blading, Skateboarding in the hallways.
The following items are prohibited in order to help prevent fires at the university. Please be advised that while this list is extensive, it is in no way all inclusive. The list is intended to be used as a guideline.
- The possession of candles, incense and open flame devices are not permitted in any building, unless properly authorized by the Fire Safety Director.
- Live Christmas trees and wreaths, unless properly authorized by the Fire Safety Director.
- Neon signs and string lights (e.g. holiday lights)
- Firearms, weapons, paintball guns, fireworks, explosives, chemicals (except in authorized labs), firecrackers and like items.
- University authorized and sponsored Fireworks presentations must have the properly authorized permits-insurance from local and state authorities, including written notification to and approval from the Local Township municipal and fire department authorities. It is also required that the neighboring community surrounding the campus be notified at least 48 hours in advance of any authorized and properly licensed fireworks displays. The permit procedures should include arrangements for the proper fire department apparatus and personnel to provide the appropriate fire protection and safety at the fireworks presentation. See the Fire Safety Director for details.
- Unauthorized modification of space and the furnishings contained within, including the installation of any air conditioners, paintings, and any personal furnishings is prohibited.
- Do not decorate common areas with hanging or other items.
- Nothing may be attached to any egress window or egress door (room entry door, bedroom door, hallway door etc.)
- Furniture such as chairs, couches, mattresses, waterbeds etc., other than those provided by the University.
- Do not move furnishings from their original locations or store items on top of them that are less than 18” from the ceiling or bottom of any sprinkler heads.
- Excessively disorderly conditions and the storage of excessive amounts of paper, trash or recyclables are prohibited.
- Trash and recycling containers must not be kept in hallways or stairwells.
- Personal lamps including halogen lamps are not allowed
- Motor vehicles of any kind, including but not limited to, mopeds, motorcycles, and motor bikes are prohibited in any of the University’s buildings.
- Electrical heat producing appliances (stoves, George Foreman grills, toaster ovens, hot plates, and portable heating units) are prohibited, including all appliances that are not UL listed and appliances that are recalled by manufacturers or government agencies.
- Open coil appliances for heating water and beverages are prohibited
- Electric heaters are only allowed if provided by the University
- Blocking means of egress hallways/walkways and staircases in any building.
- Door stops, wedges and other unapproved hold-open devices on fire doors shall be prohibited. Self-closing and automatic-closing devices shall be approved. Where it is desired to keep doors open, an automatic-closing device actuated by the fire detection system shall be provided in accordance with the building code. All unauthorized devices used to prop open doors shall be removed immediately.
- Smoking is not permitted within any building on campus.
- Possession of highly flammable materials including gasoline, their containers (whether containing fuel or empty), Propane cylinders.
- Kerosene lamps, oil lamps ,alcohol lamps, lighter fluid and other highly flammable substances
- Setting or fueling a fire of any size.
- Use of fire-fueled or electric grills for any purpose is prohibited.
- Portable LP gas cooking equipment such a barbecue grill is restricted to our dining hall vendor via a permit process with the Division of Fire Safety. The cooking equipment must be commercial grade and is prohibited;
- On any portion of a building;
- Within any room or space of a building;
- Within five feet of any combustible exterior wall;
- Within five feet, vertically or horizontally, of any opening in any wall; or
- Under any building overhang.
- A person shall not cause or allow open burning unless approved in accordance with the Uniform Fire Code and the KEAN Fire Safety Office.
- A person shall not take or utilize an open flame or light in any structure or other place where highly flammable, combustible or explosive material is utilized or stored.
- The installation of personal locks or chains, splicing cable lines, use of materials that damage the surfaces of the building interiors or prevents authorized equipment from working properly is prohibited.
- Do not spray aerosol cans near smoke detectors.
- Power strips without an internal circuit breaker and UL approval are prohibited.
- Electrical cords shall not be routed unsafely (under carpets, in pathways, through doorways, taped down etc.)
- Extension cords and non-breaker multi-plugs adapters are prohibited.
- Plug in air fresheners are prohibited.
- Power strips may not be used in series to gain greater length.
- Spliced, taped or frayed cords must not be used
- Do not hang or attach anything to, or on, any lamp, light fixture, sprinkler head or any other fire detection and suppression devices.
- Anything that damages, misuses, or otherwise interferes with the ready and proper operation of any fire detection or fire suppression equipment and related signs is forbidden. This includes, but is not limited to: sprinklers, heat and smoke detectors, extinguishers, fire alarm control panels, pull stations, annunciator, emergency lighting, exit signs, emergency floor plan evacuation signs.
- Intentional activation of a fire alarm when there is no fire emergency is prohibited
University Center Operations and Event Management
University Center Room 6
- > University Center Mission
- > Information Desk
- > Game Room
- > Computer Labs
- > Media Center
- > Reservations
- > University Center Programming
- > Print Center Page Request
- > NJ Transit
- > Forms, Policies & Procedures
- > Hours of Operation
- > Building Directory
- > Work Orders
- > Jobs at the UC
- > Our Staff
- > Contact Us
- > Events Board
- > Food Services
- > Wenzhou-Kean
- > Campus Sexual Violence Elimination Act