Student Leadership Criteria
Kean University has established the following criteria in order for students to be eligible to hold leadership positions and serve in leadership roles in student groups and organizations. These criteria must be met at the time of application to become a student leader and must be upheld throughout a student leader’s entire term of office.
Students seeking to hold a leadership position in any Kean University recognized student group or organization must adhere to the following:
- Have completed a minimum of 12 credits at Kean University and be fully matriculated (excludes freshman class officers, freshman council representatives, part-time students and graduate students);
- Have a minimum of a 2.50 cumulative grade point average; and
- Be free of probation with restrictions in residence, University-wide disciplinary probation or higher level disciplinary sanctions (University-wide probation with restrictions, suspension, or dismissal).
Additionally, students who serve in leadership are expected to do the following:
- Have served as a member of the respective organization for at least one semester or have equivalent experience as determined by the organization’s general membership;
- Activate their Cougar Link accounts and use them regularly to maintain their organization's profile and submit electronic "paperwork";
- Keeping accurate Cougar Link records of membership and Co-Curricular Transcript (CCT) service hours
- Maintain an electronic copy of the Constitution and uphold the mission, values and guidelines established by the organization;
- Be responsible for upholding Kean University policies and procedures, including, but not limited to, the Student Code of Conduct, the Drug and Alcohol Policy, the Posting Policy, the Hazing Policy and the General Procedures Governing Use of University Facilities and Grounds; and
- Fulfill a student group leader training requirement by attending and participating in the Student Group Leadership Conference, or equivalent, and any applicable training programs as determined by the organization.
These standards are meant to be the minimum requirements. Organizational requirements that exceed these standards shall remain in force.
*Executive Board positions shall be defined as the President, Vice President(s), Secretary and Treasurer, (or equivalent), committee chairs, and other officer positions as defined by each student group’s constitution.
SELECTION OF OFFICERS
Student groups and organizations must elect/select executive board members in accordance with each organization's student group structure and purpose statement (ex: Constitution, Bylaws, Charter, etc...) or election policy.
Student leaders for the University’s student governments must follow a fairly constituted system of selecting officers and board members, and such officers and board members of each respective student government may be compensated based upon additional services provided at a level recommended annually to the President and by an impartial panel.
The academic standing and disciplinary status of each prospective student leader shall be reviewed by the Center for Leadership and Service and/or Office of Student Government and/or the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs prior to the selection/election of new student leaders. Each prospective student leader must complete a Student Leadership FERPA Release Form. The academic standing and disciplinary status of each student group and organization executive board member will be reviewed at the conclusion of each academic semester and/or student group recongition period. Additional checks may be conducted as needed.
Students who do not meet the minimum standards outlined in this policy shall not be eligible to assume or continue to serve in any leadership position. The group president and advisor will be informed if any candidate does not meet the eligibility requirements. Student groups will be advised that they may begin the process to elect/select a replacement in accourdance with their organization's student group structure and purpose statement (ex: Constitution, Bylaws, Charter, etc...) or election policy.
Students who do not meet the Student Leadership Criteria may not submit an appeal. If the student believes the Student Leadership Criteria violation to be an error, the student leader must submit a written letter of reconsideration to the Director of the Center for Leadership and Service outlining the believed error within five (5) business days of the violation notice.
Students found responsible through the campus student conduct process of theft or misuse of organizational funds or University property will not be permitted to hold leadership positions within any recognized student group for the remainder of time they are enrolled at the University. This decision may not be appealed.
In the event that a student leader does not meet the Student Leadership Criteria during the term of their office, he/she will be removed from his/her position.
Requests for exceptions to the student leadership criteria for all recognized student group, organization and government leadership positions must be submitted in writing to the Director of the Center for Leadership and Service. A recommendation to either allow the exception or uphold the Student Leadership Criteria will be forwarded to the Vice President for Student Affairs for final determination. The student group or organization will be notified of the final outcome.
This policy shall be applied to the election/selection of all student leaders. All campus organizations will comply with the Affirmative Action Policy of Kean University when applicable.
Center for Leadership and Service
University Center, room 219
- > About the Center for Leadership and Service
- > CLS Jobs
- > Clubs & Organizations
- > Co-Curricular Transcripts
- > Community & Volunteer Services
- > The Cougar's Byte
- > Greek Life
- > Leadership Programs
- > Cougar Link
- > Forms and Policies
- > Kean Ocean Campus Life
- > Find Us on Facebook!
- > Student Group Recognition and Development
- > Student Group Recognition Overview and Resources
- > Student Group Toolkit