Page Header

Physical Education, Recreation & Health


Home > Academics > College of Education > Special Education and Literacy > Physical Education > FAQs

PERH - Frequently Asked Questions


When does the semester start and end? When are holidays?

View the Kean University Academic Calendar to find out!


Q. Is a “D” an acceptable grade for ENG 1030, COMM 1102, Math 1010 and PED 2800?

A. No, a minimum grade of “C” is required for all the above courses except PED 2800 which require a grade of a “B.”

Q. Is Praxis II required?

A. Praxis II (test #0856 or #5856) must be passed before the start of the senior student teaching experience. It is not required for admission into the Physical Education major. Passing scores must be submitted by November 1 for the spring student teaching experience and August 1 for the Fall internship.

Q. Is the 3.0 (beginning September 2012) GPA required for filing the fieldwork application?

A. No, you can apply with a 2.70 GPA and the completion of 60 credits. You must attain the GPA 3.0 (beginning September 2012) and achieve declared major status prior to the start of the junior fieldwork.

Q. I'm a transfer student, so is my GPA determined by combining my Kean GPA with my previous institution?

A. Your GPA in regard to admission to the major is determined only by your Kean GPA. If your GPA at your previous institution was below 3.0 (beginning September 2012), then your Kean GPA must be based on a minimum of 24 credits. If your previous GPA was above a GPA 3.0 (beginning September 2012) than your Kean GPA can be determined by a minimum of 16 credits.

Q. Are PED 1500 (Motor Learning) and PED 2500 (Biomechanics) required for admission to the major?

A. No, neither course is required for admission. However, one or both should be passed prior to enrolling in PED 3610 and 3690.

Q. Is a “D” an acceptable grade in any major courses?

A. No, all major courses must have a minimum of a “C” grade and PED 2800 will require a minimum of a “B-“ status.



Q. Can I pursue the Program and play sports at the same time ?

A. Due to the complexity of the Program, students can participate in sports but it will take a minimum of 5 years.

Q. What will my status be if I transfer from another college ?

A. All transfer students must meet with the Program Director to determine their placement status. Transfer students wishing to transfer courses intended to fulfill specific Athletic Training course requirements must have those courses evaluated by the Program Director. Any such course must satisfy all the same competencies in the course offered by Kean University. General Education courses will be evaluated by the Office of the Dean of the College of Education. Clinical experiences will also be reviewed by the Program Director. These must be documented and must have been under the direct supervision of an BOC Certified Athletic Trainer. As stated in the undergraduate catalog, a minimum of 32 degree credits including 1/2 of major requirements, must be earned at Kean.

Q. Is there financial aid available ?

A. The Program has no direct financial support for students at this time. Students who qualify can get financial support through the Office of Financial Aid. Scholarships are available through affiliated professional organizations but a student must qualify and then earn these awards. It is very important that students understand this and it is more important that their parents understand the need for their full support during the students sophomore, junior and senior years.




Q. What is the GPA requirement for admission into the Recreation Administration Program?

A. The Recreation Administration program requires students to have a 3.0 (beginning September 2012) GPA to declare and graduate as a recreation major. Students must also have a 3.0 (beginning September 2012) GPA to be eligible for the Practicum and Internship field experiences.

Q. Are there any other admission requirements?

A. Potential majors must sit in an interview with either Dr. Valentine or Dr. Stavola-Daly and complete an initial assessment form.

Q. What if I do not have a 3.0 (beginning September 2012) GPA, can I still take courses in the major?

A. If a student does not have a 3.0 (beginning September 2012) GPA, a student can declare Recreation as an intended major until the student has a 2.5 GPA. The student can take only those courses that do not have a specific GPA requirement.

Q. What grade is a student required to maintain in major courses?

A. All students are required to achieve a C or better in all major courses with the exception of the field experiences which require students maintain a B or better. If a student gets a grade below the required grade, the student must re-take the major course.

Q. Are there any other courses that have a grade requirement?

A. Students should have a B- or better in ENG 1030. All TR/Pre-OT prerequisites require a grade of “B” or better. Students must also have a C or better in all science courses.

Q. Can I follow the Pre OT/TR guide sheet as a transfer student?

A. No. Students who transfer into the University with an Associate’s Degree cannot be a TR/Pre-OT major. The student must be a Recreation Administration-TR major and apply for the OT program as a graduate student.

Q. Who is my advisor?

A. Students who are majoring in the Commercial and Community options are assigned to Dr. John Valentine for advisement. Students who are in TR/TR Pre-OT option, in the Gerontology Certificate program and graduating seniors (all options) are assigned to Dr. Stavola Daly for advisement.

Q. How many hours are required for the field classes and does the Department help with field placements?

A. REC 3910 Practicum requires 145 hours of field work. REC 4510 Internship requires 480 hours for Commercial and Community recreation option majors. As of Fall 2010, all TR and TR/Pre OT option majors must complete a 560 hour internship. The faculty does assist students in identifying all field placements and approves all final placements.

Q. What certifications will I be eligible for with a degree in Recreation Administration?

A. Students who graduate with a degree in Recreation Administration TR/TR Pre-OT Options are eligible to sit for the Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) exam administered by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC). Students who graduate with the Community Recreation or the Commercial Recreation Options are eligible to sit for the Certified Park and Recreation Professional (CPRP) exam and the NJ Board of Examiners Recreation Administrator and Recreation Supervisor exams. Details about eligibility requirements should be discussed with the Recreation Administration advisors.

Q. What is the process if I already have a degree but need to take courses to get certified in Therapeutic Recreation?

A. If a student already has a degree but wants to become eligible for the CTRS certification, the student must apply to Kean as a 2nd degree major in Recreation Administration TR Option. The student does not have to complete the full degree but will have to take the credits required to be eligible to sit for the certification exam. Basically most students must take at least 18 credits in recreation with 15 of those credits in Therapeutic Recreation, but there may be other supportive course work credits required. The decision on credit requirements is based on the student’s feedback from NCTRC and the Kean advisor’s assessment.



Q. How do I get to the Health Education office?

A. Health Education is located in Hennings Hall (HH), 4th floor, room 403.

Q. What type of services does Health Education provide?

A. We provide a variety of services to meet students’ needs, such as course overloads into closed classes (with instructor’s permission), and referrals to various resources on campus.

Q. Who is eligible to apply for a health education minor?

A. All current Kean students, including transfer students are eligible to apply. Please contact Dr. Elisha Nixon, the coordinator, for more information.

Q. When can I apply?

A. We prefer that students apply upon declaration of their major. However, students are permitted to inquire about and apply for the minor anytime.

Q. If I want to apply should I meet with my advisor for my major?

A. Yes, the earlier you identify your interest in health, the better. Meeting with your advisor will en able you to cover information about health in general including possible career opportunities.

Q. How will obtaining a minor in health education enhance my major and/or career opportunities in community-based programs?

A. Health Education is a field of study that draws heavily from various interrelated academic disciplines in education, humanities, and natural and applied health science. Community-based organizations rely on its employees/volunteers to apply knowledge derived from interdisciplinary or related curriculum to enhance the lives of children and adults in school, worksite, and community-based settings. The health minor is a valuable stepping stone to an entry level career in sports medicine, health counseling, public health, nursing, and other allied health sciences.

Inner Page Footer