The Teacher of Students with Disabilities option program prepares students to be certified in both special education and P-12 English. To be admitted, candidates must apply to both the Department of Special Education in the College of Education and the School of the English Studies in the College of Liberal Arts. In both certification options, Teacher Certification and Dual Certification, students may pursue positions in public and private school teaching. In addition, Dual Certification may lead to work in group homes, programs for adults with disabilities, and with private agencies serving the developmentally disabled.
The program meets State standards for dual teacher certification in English, P-12. Students choosing this option must apply to both the English Department and the Department of Special Education & Literacy. For all transfers and new admissions to the University a G.P.A. of 3.00 is required for admission to the Program.
- Major Guidesheet: B.A. in English, Dual Certification for Teacher of Students with Disabilities and P-12 Option (Effective Date: Fall 2015)
Help! Passing the Praxis Series Tests for Educators
Visit the Praxis Resource Center for help with passing the Praxis I Core Academic Skills Test and Praxis II Subject Assessment Test for English. Prior to admission to the English/Education Teacher Certification program, you must have passed the Praxis I test.
- Praxis Resource Center, Elizabeth Satchell
- Location: Hennings Hall, 320
- Telephone: 908-737-3880
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: Praxis Resource Center
Other English Major Options
- B.A. in English, Literature Option
- B.A. in English, Writing Option
- B.A. in English, Teacher Certification P-12 Option
Complete List of English Courses
- List of Courses [PDF]