Current and Newly Admitted Transfer Students

Home > Admissions > Transfer Applicants > Transfer Credit Evaluation > Current and Newly Admitted Transfer Students

In order to receive an accurate evaluation of your transfer credits, please request to have current, official transcripts sent to the Office of University Admissions, 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, NJ 07083 from your previous institution(s). Additionally, students are encouraged to complete a Degree Audit Update Request.

If you have received an up-to-date evaluation of your transfer credits, but still have questions, please read the following FAQ’s.

Current and Newly Admitted Students - Frequently Asked Questions: Credit Evaluations

  1. I am a graduate of a NJ community college. Why didn’t I receive all of my credits?
    1. If the transcripts you submitted at time of your admission did not list your degree, your evaluation will not be accurate. You will need to submit updated transcripts to the Office of the Registrar in order to receive an updated and accurate evaluation of your credits.
    2. If your transcripts did list your degree, please note that Kean honors the NJ transfer law and related agreements on transferability of credits with an A.A. or A.S. degree. PLEASE NOTE: the law only applies to students enrolling at Kean for fall 2008 or later, who have completed an A.A. or A.S. degree in 2005 or later, in a major that is comparable to their major at Kean. Changing majors negates full transferability of credits. You can view the full agreement here:
  2. Why aren’t courses I took within my major appearing on my evaluation?
    1. Many courses that may be considered for credit within a student’s major are sent for review by the Department Chair or Executive Director.  If this is the case, an updated evaluation will be completed as soon as the department renders and communicates their decision back to the Office of the Registrar.
  3. How many credits will I receive if I change my major?
    1. In order to receive a credit evaluation for a different program, you will need to complete a change of program form via the Office of the Registrar. Unofficial evaluations cannot be completed due to the high volume of requests we receive.
  4. I am going to be graduating soon, but am missing credits. Can I possibly receive more credits for courses I took at my previous institution?
    1. Kean University will accept a maximum of 92 transfer credits, including a maximum of 66 lower-division credits (i.e. all credits taken at two-year colleges and any lower-division credits taken at four-year institutions). Students must take a minimum of 32 credits AND one half of the academic major credits at Kean in order to be eligible to receive a degree from Kean University. If you have not received the maximum amount of credits and feel there are courses that are applicable to your degree, please request a reevaluation of your record by emailing Student Support Services at Please list “Request for Revaluation” along with your major in the subject line.
  5. I am interested in taking classes at another institution after I have already begun taking classes at Kean. What do I need to do?
    1. You must first obtain a “Request for Coursework at Another Institution” form from the Office of the Registrar. This form must be completed by your Department Chairperson or Executive Director. It is advised that you receive permission for the transfer of coursework PRIOR to registering for any classes. Regular transfer policies apply. Additionally, the maximum number of credits a student may take is 18 during a fall or spring semester and 6 during a summer session (this includes courses taken at both Kean University and other institutions).

Still have questions regarding your specific credit evaluation? Please email and include the type of inquiry and your major in the subject line. 

Inner Page Footer