New Jersey Center for Science, Technology & Mathematics
- Senior Biotechnology student Chelsea Mann has been awarded a 2017 Governor's STEM scholar.
- Mike Notarmaso, Biotechnology master's student, won second place at a contest at the Gordon Research Seminar for Medicinal Chemistry, competing against PhD candidates and Postdocs from prestigious universities.
- Congratulations and best wishes to Shruti Nadkarni, Kean University 2016 valedictorian.
- Kean University cited as one of top 100 US schools for STEM Jobs
- NJCSTM celebrates 10 yr anniversary with alumni
The New Jersey Center for Science, Technology & Mathematics (NJCSTM) offers a vibrant teaching and research environment dedicated to preparing a new generation of innovators for careers as professional scientists, physicians and educators. At NCJSTM we combine science and research in an innovative honors curriculum that strives to instill the critical thinking and problem solving skills needed to succeed in today’s scientifically and technologically advanced world. Through our Research First Initiative (RFI), we are transforming the way that science and mathematics are taught by enabling students to join faculty-sponsored research teams and learn through actual laboratory experience. With outstanding academic degree options, engaged faculty and exceptional student support services, NJCSTM provides a rich and supportive learning environment that has achieved unparalleled success in graduation rates and career placement. NJCSTM graduates have been selected as Kean University Valedictorians 4 times in the last 7 years.
NJCSTM offers honors degree programs in the following areas:
- Math Education (5-year combined BS/MS)
- Chemistry Education (5-year combined BS/MS)
- Biology Education (5-year combined BS/MS)
- Biotechnology/Molecular Biology (5-year combined BS/MS)
- Computational Applied Mathematics (5-year combined BS/MS)
- Biomedicine (4-year BS)
- Engineering Science with NJIT (4-year BS from Kean, 1-year MS from NJIT)
- MS Biotechnology Science (2-year MS)
Students admitted into the 5-Year BS/MS programs in NJCSTM are considered for 2 year merit-based scholarships at the time of their application. Scholarships are awarded based on math/verbal SAT combined scores as below:
1360 and above (rSAT*)
1300 and above (SAT*)
100% in-state tuition scholarship
1270 to 1359 (rSAT)
1200 to 1299 (SAT)
75% in-state tuition scholarship
1170 to 1269 (rSAT)
1100 to 1199 (SAT)
50% in-state tuition scholarship
* The rSAT score includes any SAT scores achieved during or after March 2016. SAT score criteria include critical reading (verbal) and mathematics only. The writing/essay score is not considered in the total at this time. Composite scores may be used for scholarship consideration.
The above listed scholarships are contingent on the student maintaining a 3.0 or higher cumulative grade point average (unweighted) while in years one (Freshmen) and two (Sophomore) of the NJCSTM five year program.
At the end of the sophomore year, students that declare the education track (Chemistry/Biology/Mathematics), leading to a master's degree in teaching and New Jersey teacher certification, may be eligible for an additional three years of 100% in-state tuition scholarships provided they maintain satisfactory academic performance (3.0 or higher cumulative GPA) and agree to teach in New Jersey schools for three years upon completion of the program.
For more information about the STEM degrees offered by NJCSTM, visit our programs page.
Imagine, Explore & Discover. Take advantage of the numerous opportunities to experience undergraduate research at NJCSTM.
NJCSTM is housed in a striking, state-of-the-art 133,000 sq. ft. educational facility, with teaching and research laboratories, classrooms, a 320 seat auditorium for workshops, lectures, conferences and other major events, and a 630 person atrium for meeting exhibits, break-out and poster sessions, and social education events.
Modern classroom space includes 25,000 sq. ft. of flex lab teaching space and prep rooms, along with 5 classrooms. Teaching laboratories include 20,000 sq. ft. of fully functioning and equipped laboratories for chemistry, mathematics, computational science, molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, cell culture and physics.
Faculty research laboratories include 20,000 sq. ft. of wet and computational research labs with lab support and equipment rooms for core chemistry, molecular and cellular biology equipment including NMR, mass spectrometry, HPLCs, DNA sequencing, cell sorting, microscopy, and super-computer facilities.
NJCSTM is home to the only 3D Virtual Reality Computer Assisted Visual Enhancement (CAVE) system in the greater NY-NJ metropolitan area. The CAVE system is capable of displaying images and data for both research and teaching purposes. Students working on CAVE projects put to use computer programming skills learned in class and adapt gaming theory and data analysis applications to scientific problems.