Requirements for the Garden State Partnership
(Kean is only accepting candidates for Middle School and Secondary Education):
1) BA/BS Degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75
(2.5 GPA for candidates who earned degree in 2004 or prior)
- K-5 (Elementary Education) requires 60 credits in the liberal arts or sciences.
- K-5/5-8 (Middle School Education) requires 60 credits in the liberal arts or sciences AND 15 credits in the subject area to be taught.
- K-12 (Secondary Education) requires 30 credits in the subject area to be taught 12 credits must be a level 300 or 400 level.
For the appropriate Praxis for your area of certification, click here : www.ets.org/praxis/nj/requirements
3) Minimum GRE Verbal score of 450 or a minimum MAT score of 388.
4) Essay or Cover Letter (250-500 words) outlining reasons for applying, Master's degree program interest and
personal philosophy of education
5) 24 Hour Pre-Service Program Certificate of Completion
6) Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
7) Strong interest in urban education; must be willing to teach in a high-need school for 3 years after completing
Note: Upon acceptance in the program, you will be required to have a background check and fingerprinting to meet the School District's requirements.