FRESHMAN TESTING REQUIREMENT
All incoming freshmen must be tested for reading, writing, and mathematics, unless they are exempt from all or part of this testing due to their SAT scores. The criteria for exempting from testing on the basis of SAT scores is as follows:
- Students with SAT-Critical Reading/Verbal scores of 520 or higher are exempt from the reading portion of the test (i.e., the Reading Comprehension section).
- Students with SAT-Writing scores of 520 or higher are exempt from the writing portion of the test (i.e., the Essay section).
- Students with SAT-Math scores of 530 or higher are exempt from the Elementary Algebra (and Arithmetic) sections of the test.
- Students with SAT-Critical Reading/Verbal scores of 520 or higher, SAT-Writing scores of 520 or higher and SAT-Math scores of 530 or higher are exempt from all of the parts of the test indicated above (Reading Comprehension, Essay and Elementary Algebra).
Please note: Students exempt from the Elementary Algebra section who are planning to major in accounting, business, economics, finance, management, marketing, mathematics, computer science, or other applied or natural science, or have applied/been accepted into the NJCSTM program, are required to take the College Level Mathematics section of the test. The CLM is used to determine preparedness for higher-level math courses such as Pre-Calculus and Calculus. Students not majoring in these areas are encouraged (but not required) to take the CLM.
TRANSFER STUDENT TESTING REQUIREMENT
Each incoming transfer student is individually evaluated for his/her reading, writing, and math placement testing needs as part of the transcript evaluation process. Transfer students required to test will be notified shortly after their transcript evaluation. However, most transfer students are exempt from all or part of testing based on the following criteria:
- SAT scores: Same as SAT exemption criteria for freshmen (see above)
- Total number of transfer credits accepted by Kean: Except for ESL students (see below), transfer students who will be entering the University at the sophomore level or above (i.e., with more than 28.5 credits accepted, including in-progress credits tentatively accepted) are exempt from all testing.
- Specific courses completed at other colleges: Freshman-level transfer students (i.e., those with fewer than 29 transfer credits accepted) may also be exempt from all or part of placement testing on the basis of reading, writing, and math course work they have already successfully completed at other colleges.
Transfer ESL students please note: Incoming English as a Second Language (ESL) students who have not received transfer credit for college-level Composition—regardless of credit totals—must take Kean’s ESL reading and writing placement tests for placement into appropriate-level ESL courses. No student can take ESL courses at Kean without first taking the ESL placement test. For more information about ESL courses at Kean, please call the ESL Program at (908) 737-0420.