The purposes of this society are:
- To honor those who attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and culture of the Spanish-speaking peoples;
- To honor those who have made the Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world;
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture;
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech;
- To serve its membership in ways which will contribute to the attainment of the goals and ideals of the society.
The bases of selection shall be:
- The scholastic or professional record of the candidate.
- The distinction the candidate has achieved in the field of Hispanic studies.
- The candidate’s demonstrated support of the goals and ideals of the society.
- The character of the candidate.
Active Membership of college students is for students who have demonstrated high scholarship in general and excellence in the study of Spanish, as well as excellence of character.
Requirements of Sigma Delta Pi and the Department of Spanish
- The student must have completed eighteen semester credit hours or its equivalent in Spanish. Six credit hours must be at the 4000 level, including courses the student is taking the semester of initiation.
- The grade point average in all Spanish courses taken must be at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- The candidate must rank in the upper 35% of her / his class (sophomore, junior, senior), or have a cumulative GPA of 3.2. He/she must have completed at least three semesters of college work.
- The student must have declared a minor or major in Spanish.
- Graduate students unconditionally admitted to a degree-granting program must have completed two graduate courses with an average that qualifies for graduate degree.
- The candidate must show genuine interest in the Spanish language, and in Hispanic culture and literature.
Procedure for becoming a member:
- Students are recommended by faculty in the Spanish program or submit an application.
- Each student must provide a transcript from Kean University and other institutions attended. Transcript(s) must show class standing or cumulative GPA reflecting the required 3.2 average.
- If the student meets all requirements, the student is notified in writing and invited to attend the ceremony of induction.
- Students must pay a one-time fee of $35 dollars that includes a life-time membership. Each student receives a certificate, a pin, a carnation, and a candle. Part of the money goes to the National Society and part to purchase items needed for the ceremony as listed above, and also registry book and some refreshments. Any surplus is managed by the Treasurer and used for future activities.
- Once informed of acceptance, the student must attend the ceremony to become a member. Non-attendance results in the forfeiture of membership with no exceptions. There are no refunds.