- Shebitz, D.J. K.Ewing, and J. Gutierrez. 2009. Preliminary observations of using smokewater
to increase low-elevation beargrass (Xerophyllum tenax) germination. Native Plants
10(1): 13-19. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J., S.H. Reichard, and W. Woubneh. 2008. Beargrass on the Olympic
Peninsula, Washington: Autecology and Population Status. Northwest Science 82(2): 128-
140. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J., S.H. Reichard, and P. Dunwiddie. In review. Consequences of Low- and
High-Severity Fire in Anthropogenically-Maintained Beargrass Habitat in the Olympic
Peninsula Lowlands. Ecological Restoration.
- Shebitz, D.J. and C. Crandell. In press. Weaving Cultural and Biological Diversity. In From
the Hands of a Weaver: Olympic Peninsula Basketry Through Time. University of Oklahoma Press.
- Storm, L. and D. Shebitz. 2006. Evaluating the Purpose, Extent, and Ecological
Restoration Applications of Indigenous Burning Practices in Southwestern
Washington. Journal of Ecological Restoration 24(4):256-268. Read more...
- Peter, D. and D.J. Shebitz. 2006. Historic anthropogenically-maintained beargrass
savannas of the southeastern Olympic Peninsula. Restoration Ecology 14(4): 605-615. Read more...
- Gold, W., K. Ewing, J. Banks, M. Groom, T. Hinkley, D. Secord, and D. Shebitz.
2006. Collaborative Ecological Restoration. Science Magazine 312: 1880-1881. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J. 2006. The Historical Role and Current Restoration Applications of Fire
in Maintaining Beargrass (Xerophyllum tenax) Habitat on the Olympic Peninsula of
Washington State. A dissertation. University of Washington, Seattle.
- Shebitz, D.J. 2005. Weaving traditional ecological knowledge into the restoration of
basketry plants. Journal of Ecological Anthropology 9:51-68. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J. and R.W. Kimmerer. 2005. Re-establishing roots of a Mohawk
Community and a culturally significant plant: sweetgrass. Restoration Ecology 13(2):257-
264. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J. and J.E. James. 2005. A collaborative study to restore anthropogenically
maintained systems using traditional burning practices. Cascadia Restoration and
Management News Spring 2005:6.
- Shebitz, D. J. and R.W. Kimmerer. 2004. Population trends and ecological
requirements of sweetgrass, Hierochloe odorata: integration of traditional and scientific
ecological knowledge. Journal of Ethnobiology 24(1): 93-111. Read more...
- Shebitz, D.J. 2002. Habitat Requirements and Restoration Potential of Sweetgrass
(Hierochloe odorata). Proceedings from the 2nd Annual Black Ash Restoration Conference.
- Shebitz, D. 2002. Piecing together history. Book review of Egan, D. and E.A.
Howell. 2001. The Historical Ecology Handbook: A Restorationist’s Guide to
Reference Ecosystems. Island Press, Washington, D.C 457pp. Conservation Biology. 16
- Shebitz, D.J. 2001. Trends in Northeastern sweetgrass populations: an ecological
and ethnobotanical analysis. M.S. Thesis. Syracuse, New York. 159 pp.
Blaustein, L, J.E. Garb, D. Shebitz, and E. Nevo. 1999. Microclimate, developmental
plasticity and community structure in artificial temporary pools. Hydrobiologia 392:187-