- Associate Professor School of Environmental and Sustainability Sciences, Kean University, New Jersey
- 2001 - 2005, Ph.D., Geography, University
Dissertation: On Geographic Knowledge Discovery: A Framework Based
on Prototype Theory
Minor: Computer Science
- 1999 - 2001, M.S., Cartography and GIS, University
Thesis: A Data Mining Approach to Knowledge Discovery from Soil Maps
- 1993 - 1997, B.S., Environmental Science, Peking
Thesis: The Effect of Sampling Design on Spatial Structure Analysis
of Contaminated Soils
- 2014 - Associate Professor, Kean University, New Jersey.
- 2007 - 2014 Assistant Professor, Kean University, New Jersey.
- 2006 - 2007 Assistant Professor, University of Texas - San Antonio,
- 2004 - 2006 Teaching Assistant, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- 1999 - 2004 Research Assistant, University of Wisconsin - Madison
Yang, L.,Qi, F. , Zhu, A., Shi, J., and An, Yo., 2016. Evaluation of Integrative Hierarchical Stepwise Sampling for Digital soil Mapping. Soil Science Society of America Journal 80:3, doi:10.2136/sssaj2015.08.0285
Du, F., Zhu, A., and Qi, F. ,2015, Interactive visual cluster detection in large geospatial datasets based on dynamic density volume visualization. Geocarto International http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10106049.2015.1073364
Qi, F. and Du, F., 2013, Tracking and visualization of space-time activities for a micro-scale flu transmission study. International Journal of Health Geographics 12:6, doi:10.1186/1476-072X-12-6
Qi, F. and Du, F., 2013, Trajectory data analyses for pedestrian space-time activity study. Journal of Visualized Experiments (72), e50130, doi:10.3791/50130.
Yang, L., Zhu, A. X., Qi, F., Qin, C. Li, B., and Pei, T., 2012, An integrative hierarchical stepwise sampling strategy for spatial sampling and its application in digital soil mapping. International Journal of Geographic Information Science. DOI: 10.1080/13658816.2012.658053.
Qi, F. and Zhu, A. X., 2011, Comparing three methods for modeling uncertainty in knowledge discovery for soil classification. Computers and Geosciences, 37: 1425-1436.
P. Morreale, P., Qi, F., Croft, P., 2011, A Green Wireless Sensor Network for Environmental Monitoring and Risk Identification, International Journal of Sensor Networks, 10: 73-82.
Yang, L., Fahmy, S., Jiao, Y., Hann, S., Zhu, A.X., and Qi, F., 2011, Updating conventional soil maps using digital soil mapping techniques—a case study in New Brunswick, Canada. Soil Science Society of America Journal,75: 1044-1053.
Toney, J. H., Kaplowitz, H., Pu, R., Qi, F., and Chang, G., 2010, Human Rights Quarterly, 32: 1010-1019..
Zhu, A. X., Qi, F., Moore, A., and Burt, J. E., 2010, Prediction of Soil Properties Using Fuzzy Membership. Geoderma,158: 199-206.
Qi, F., 2010, Fuzziness vs. Probability in a Data Mining Application for Soil Classification. In Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery (Yantai, China, Aug. 2010), 2614-2618.
Morreale, P., Qi, F., Croft, P., Suleski, R., Sinnicke, B., and Kendall, F., 2010, Real-time Environmental Monitoring
and Notification for Public Safety, IEEE Multimedia, 17(2): 4-11.
Zhu A. X., Liu, F., Li, B., Pei, T., Qin, C., Liu, G., Wang, Y., Chen, Y., Ma, X., Qi, F., and Zhou, C., 2010, Differentiation of Soil Conditions over Low Relief Areas Using Feedback Dynamic Patterns, Soil Science Society of America Journal, 74: 861-869.
Croft, P. J., Qi, F., Morreale, P., and Trzopek, A., 2010, UrbanNet: Urban Environmental Monitoring and Modeling with a Wireless Sensor Network, Proceedings of the 90th Annual American Meteorological Society (AMS) Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia, January 17-21, 2010.
Qi, F., and Artigas, F., 2009, Animated and interactive visualization of highway air pollution. Proceedings of the 24th International Cartographic Conference, Santiago, Chile, Nov. 2009.
Morreale, P., Qi, F., Croft, P., Chang, G., Czarnik, J., Doell, N., Espin, J., and Suleski, R., 2009, Real-time Contextual Representation of Sensor Network Data for Environmental Trend Identification, Proceedings of the 23rd IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA ’09), Bradford, UK, May 2009, pp. 407-412.
Qi, F., Zhu, A. X., Pei, T., Qin, C., Wang, R., and Burt, J. E.,
2008, Knowledge Discovery from Area-class Resource Maps: Capturing Prototype Effects. Cartography
and GIS, 35(4) 223-237.
Qi, F., Zhu, A. X., and Harrower, M., 2006, Fuzzy soil mapping based
on prototype category theory. Geoderma, 136(3-4), 774-787.
Qi, F., and Zhu, A. X., 2006, Modeling Uncertainty in Knowledge Discovery
for Classifying Geographic Entities with Fuzzy Boundaries. In Progress
in Spatial Data Handling:12th International Symposium on Spatial Data
Handling, eds. A. Riedl, W. Kainz, and G.Elmes. Springer, Verlag
Qi, F., Zhu, A. X., Burt, J. E., Pei, T., Qin, C., Li, B. and Zhou.
C., 2005, Fuzzy logic and Prototype-based inference in soil mapping.
Fuzzy Logic, Soft Computing and Computational Intelligence, Vol. II:
Proceedings 11th International Fuzzy Systems Association World Congress, Springer&Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, China.
Qi, F., 2004, Knowledge discovery from 'area-class' resource maps:
data preprocessing for noise reduction. Transactions in Geographical
Information Science, 8 (3), 297-308.
Shi, X., Zhu, A. X., Burt, J. E., Qi, F., and Simonson, D., 2004,
A Case-based Reasoning Approach to Fuzzy Soil Mapping. Soil Science
Society of America Journal, 68, 885-894.
Qi, F., and Zhu, A. X., 2003, Knowledge discovery from soil maps
using inductive learning. International Journal of Geographical
Information Science, 17 (8), 771-795.
Qi, F., and Wang, X. J., 2000, Sampling methods in environmental
spatial analysis and their effects on spatial continuity display.
Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 20 (3), 207-212.
Qi, F., and Wang, X. J., 1999, Application of remote sensing techniques
in monitoring and assessing inland water quality. Advances in Environmental
Science, 7(3), 90-99.
Qi, F., and Wang, X. J., 1999, Application of environmental spatial
structure analysis with simulated data sets. Environmental Science,
Wang, X. J., and Qi, F., 1998, The effects of sampling design on
spatial structure analysis of contaminated soil. The Science of
The Total Environment, 224, 29-41.
- 2013-2016 Ecosystem Studies in the Maquenque National Wildlife Refuge of Costa Rica, funded by NSF REU. Senior Personel.
- 2015-2016 Underwater Digital Elevation Mapping of Wenruitang River in Wenzhou, China. Funded by Kean University through the Student Partnering with Faculty Research Program.
- 2011 A novel visualization of the globalized world: implications for infectious disease transmission, Funded by Kean University through the Presidential Scholars Challenge Award, PI, $39,268.
- 2010-2012 Influenza transmission: exploratory visualization and knowledge discovery of individual space-time behavioral patterns, National Insitute of Health (NIH), PI. $151,268.
- 2010 Community Environmental Networks for Risk Identification and Management, Funded by Kean University through the Presidential Scholars Challenge Award, Co-PI, $49,746.
- 2009-2010 Fog Occurrence using GIS: Predicting Areal & Point Estimation by Regression. Funded by Kean University through New Research Initiatives, Co-PI, $15,000.
- 2009-2010 Modeling and Visualizing Uncertainty in Geographic Knowledge Discovery. Funded by Kean University Untenured Faculty Research Initiative (UFRI), PI.
- 2009 UrbanNet: Urban Environment Monitoring and Modeling with a Wireless Sensor Network. Funded by Kean University New Research Initiatives, Co-PI, $15,000.
- 2008-2009 Visualizing Highway Air Pollution: Design and Assessment of a Geo-visualization Tool to Support Geographic Knowledge Discovery and Public Communication. Funded by the New Jersey Meadowlands Commission (NJMC), PI. $33,959.
- 2008-2009 Analysis and visualization of spatiotemporal changes of urban landscape pattern in Union County, NJ. Funded by Kean University Students Partnering with Faculty (SPF) 2008, PI. $ 16,160.
- 2008-2009 Integrating Geo-visualization with Spatial Data Mining: a Case Study on Spatial Temporal Modeling of High Way Air Quality. Funded by Kean University Untenured Faculty Research Initiative (UFRI), PI.
Awards and Honors
- 2014 Research Award, Released Time for Research. Kean University.
- 2013 Research Award, Released Time for Research. Kean University.
- 2011 Travel Award, Full travel support to attend the Fourth Biannual Colloqium on Climate and Health. National Center for Atmospheric Research.
- 2011 Presidential Scholars Challenge Award, PI, Kean University
- 2010 Presidential Scholars Challenge Award, Co-PI, Kean Unviersity
- 2009 International Cartographic Conference Travel Award, International Cartographic Association
- 2009 Oustanding Student Research Achievement Awards, Advisor, Kean University
- 2005 University Distinguished Graduate Fellowship, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- 2004 Outstanding Publication Award, Department of Geography, University
of Wisconsin - Madison.
- 2003 Best Student Paper Prize, Transactions in GIS journal, awarded
at the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS)
Summer Assembly, Monterey, CA.
- 2003 Student Scholarship Award, International Geographic Information
Foundation (IGIF), awarded at the 99th AAG Annual Meeting, New Orleans,
- 2003 RS/GIS/Cartography Student Illustrated Paper Competition 3rd
Prize, 99th AAG Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- 2000 Graduate Achievement Award, Department of Geography, University
of Wisconsin - Madison.
- Intro to Earth and Geog Systems, Kean University, Instructor
- Visualization and Exploratory Data Analyses, Kean University, Instructor
- GIS in Geoscience, Kean University, Instructor
- Data Analyses in Earth Science, Kean University, Instructor
- Earth Science Honors Seminar, Kean University, Instructor
- Urban Geographic Systems, Kean University, Instructor
- Environmental Hazards, Kean University, Instructor
- World Geography, Kean University, Instructor
- Observing the Earth, Kean University, Instructor
- Introduction to Physical Geography, UTSA, Instructor.
- Design and Management of Geographical Information Systems,
- Introduction to Geographical Information Systems, UTSA, Instructor.
- Physical Systems of the Environment, UW-Madison, Laboratory
- 3dMapper software training workshop at USDA Soil Survey
Center, Lincoln, NE. Instructor.
- 2017- University Planning Council, Kean U.
- 2015-2017 Executive Director, Environmental and Earth Sciences, Kean U.
- 2013-2015 Program Coordinator, Environmental and Earth Sciences, Kean U.
- 2011-2013 Writing Emphasis Committee, Faculty Senate, Kean University
- 2010-2012 Research Committee, Faculty Senate, Kean University
- 2010-2012 Tenure Track Faculty Network Steering Committee, Kean University
- 2009-2010 Planning Committee, Sustainability Science Program, Kean University
- 2009-2010 Science and Human Rights Committee, Kean University
- 2009-2011 Distance Leraning Committee, Kean University
- 2008-2010 University Appeals Board, Kean University
- 2007-2009 Steering Committee, Institute of Urban Ecosystem Studies, Kean University
- 2007-2010 Curriculum Committee, College of Natural Applied and Health Sciences, Kean University
- 2006- 2007 GIS lab coordinator, Department of Political Science and Geography,
University of Texas-San Antonio (UTSA)
- 2006-2007 Faculty advisor, Lab of Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics, UTSA
- 2006- 2007 Graduate catalog revision committee, UTSA
- 2005-2006 Board of Directors, International Association of Chinese Professionals
in Geographic Information Sciences (CPGIS).
- 2004-2005 Editor in Chief, Newsletter of the CPGIS.
- 2004-2005 Budget Committee, Deparrtment of Geography, UW-Madison
- 2003-2004 Speakers Committee, Department
of Geography, UW-Madison.
- 2001-2002 Student Mentor of new graduate students, Department of
- 1994-1997 Vice-president, Student Association of Environment and
Development, Beijing, China.
| Home | About Me
| Research | Teaching
| Contact |