In this arena, the Gateway Institute works toward enhanced trade and commercial relations and closer cultural and educational links to Latin America, Europe and other potential international partners of the Gateway Region.
The Institute hosted discussions leading to a Sister-City Agreement between the County of Union and City of Wenzhou, the People’s Republic of China. Kean University, as a result, continuously seeks to establish links with numerous educational institutions.
- In collaboration with the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Union County, hosted a delegation from the Municipal People's Government, the City of Wenzhou, with the purpose of signing a sister-city agreement between the two governments.
- Worked with the Regional Business Partnership to develop a regional marketing brochure and an international trade marketing effort.
- Co-sponsored, with the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders, the Union County/Luxembourg Trade Conference.
- In conjunction with the Elizabeth Development Corporation, co-sponsored a conference on expanding trade with Brazil entitled "Doing Business with Brazil."
- Along with the Korean Economic Institute of America, Washington, D.C. and the Kean University Center for International Studies Program, the Gateway Institute hosted a symposium on U.S.-Korea Strategic Relations in the 21st Century . A symposium with China is planned in 2003.
© 2002, Gateway Institute for Regional Development