Our Services
Location & Hours
Health Links
Health Forms
Health Insurance
Ask A Nurse
Schedule Your
*NEW FOR 2010*



Immunization Forms

Immunization Requirement Forms


Immunization Requirements

Immunization records are due by:


FEBRUARY 28 -  if starting in the Spring semester

You will be unable to register or receive grades if you fail to comply.

Records take two to three business days to process.

Health Services does not accept faxes of records or make copies.

All students born after December 31, 1956: Proof of two measles vaccines, one mumps vaccine, and one rubella vaccine (MMR), all administered after your first birthday and after 12/31/67.  The two measles vaccines must have been administered at least one month apart. 

All new students taking 12 or more credits: Proof of the three-dose hepatitis B series (or two-dose adult series as notated by the physician)

If your records are unavailable, you can take a blood test (Antibodies IgG for MMR; Surface Antibodies for hepatitis B) to prove immunity. A copy of the laboratory report is required.  If non-immune, the state requires you to receive the appropriate vaccines. 

All Housing students: Proof of the meningitis vaccination before check-in.

The meningitis vaccine takes several names: Menactra, meningo, menvio, MCV4, and menemune.  Please note that menemune vaccines received over five years ago are no longer effective, so the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends revaccination with MCV4.  Since meningitis is a crippling and deadly disease, and since the ACIP categorizes “freshmen living in a dorm” as a high risk category, receiving re-vaccination for outdated menemune vaccines is highly recommended. 

You can mail records to:

Kean University
Health Services
P.O. Box 411
Union, NJ 07083

You can also deliver records to Downs Hall, Room 126.  If the office is closed, you can seal them in an envelope with your Kean student ID number, and slide them under the door.


Immunization FAQ's


Where can I locate my record?

Any prior school you’ve attended, your pediatrician, physician, health department, or your parent or guardian may have a copy.  If you have served in the military, worked in healthcare, or went through immigration, they may have records.  Remember though to review your records and see that they fulfill the state’s higher-education requirements.

I can’t locate my records/my record is incomplete – what should I do?

You can take a blood test to prove immunity, or get (re)vaccinated. Please note though, if you’re non-immune with a blood test, the state requires that you receive the appropriate vaccine(s). 

I’m a returning student and I think I’ve submitted these records in the past – do I need to resubmit them?

Since the state gives the University permission to destroy records, you would need to contact Health Services to see if any records are on file.  Also, please be aware that the hepatitis B law came into effect in fall of 2008, so if you submitted records before then, any hepatitis B information is not on file. 

My records will take some time to receive – can I have an extension?

No, as per state law, schools of higher education cannot permit students to register for their second semester until receiving the compliant record.  If you need to register before your records arrive and you think that you’ve received these vaccines, you can take a blood test to prove immunity.   

Where can I receive the vaccines/ blood tests?

Here are some suggestions.

Does my insurance cover the vaccines/blood tests?

If you receive the University-sponsored insurance, yes; the vaccines are not covered under the prescription plan though, so your doctor would need to provide the vaccine at his office rather than write a prescription for the pharmacy.  If you don’t receive the University-sponsored insurance, your insurance should cover it because it’s recommended by the Advisory Committee Immunization Practices (ACIP), but you would still need to verify with your insurance company. 

I don’t have insurance/my insurance doesn’t cover the blood tests/vaccines – what can I do? 

All students are eligible to enroll in the University-sponsored insurance for coverage (see the insurance page for details), or you would have to pay.  If you receive Medicaid though, adding the insurance will drop your coverage, so you need to contact Health Services.

Does the University perform the blood tests and have the vaccines?

No, but the nearest health clinic who does, Metropolitan Community Medical Care, is located only two blocks and 1.49 miles from the Union Campus (approximately a four-minute drive according to Mapquest).

I’m a teacher/have worked in healthcare/served in the military/received immigration papers, etc – wouldn’t I have been prevented from doing the aforementioned without these vaccines?

Not necessarily (teachers, for example, are required to submit TB, not the MMR); different agencies have different requirements, so what you submitted prior may not match the current higher-education requirement. Moreover, regardless of your prior experience, the state still requires submission of the record. 

I’ve attended other schools in the state – do I still have to submit records? 

Yes; the state does not accept proof of attendance at another school as proof of immunity.  You can request your record from your prior school though, and review that it’s compliant with the current higher-education requirements. 

I’m off-campus/part-time/only take one class – why does this requirement apply to me?

Regardless of credit status or location, the requirement is still the law.   Second, health-wise, places of congregation (classrooms) are high-risk areas for spreading infectious diseases, so ensuring immunity is the safest action.  The law is for both your protection and for anyone who you encounter.

I received a letter stating that I need another MMR vaccine or blood-test proving immunity to measles when I’ve already been vaccinated for one MMR – why do I need another?

The state requires two measles vaccines, and your record only has one.  Doctors found that one vaccine wasn’t always sufficient to reach immunity, so the state requires a second MMR (or blood test proving immunity). 

How long does it take for Health Services to remove my hold?

Two to three business days.

I have a record, but no one is available to complete Kean’s immunization form – what should I do?

Just complete the top box of the form and staple a copy of your record to it.

If I’ve already received these vaccines but if I take them again, will that hurt me?

No, receiving the vaccine again will only boost your immunity.  Also, after time, the effects of the original vaccine diminish, so a booster may be recommended.  Please see the “Disease/Vaccine Information” section for any concerns.

I’m uncomfortable with receiving vaccines – are there any risks with taking it?

There are risks associated with anything, but the risks associated with the MMR vaccine are, according to the CDC, “extremely minimal.” Conversely, people also face risks by not getting vaccinated; as the CDC notes, “Getting [the] MMR vaccine is much safer than getting any of these three diseases.”  Please see the “Disease/Vaccine Information” section for further information.    

Can I be exempt from these requirements?

Yes, the state grants age exemptions for the MMR (students born before 1/1/57), and religious and medical exemptions.  For religious exemptions, you must write a statement, signed and dated, explaining how the vaccine conflicts with your religious beliefs.  For medical exemptions, your physician must state that the immunization is medically inadvisable, and he must state why.  All students who receive exemptions are required to leave class/campus during the duration of an outbreak and are required to sign a waiver. Also, medically-exempt students must submit a yearly updated medical note.


Vaccine/ Disease Information Links



Health Services

Downs Hall room 126
Lori Purwin, RN

Kean University - 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, New Jersey 07083 - 908-737-KEAN (5326) - Campus Map - Directions