- Electronic Reserves Copyright Guidelines
- Electronic Reserves Submission Deadlines
- Submitting Material for Electronic Reserves
- Electronic Reserves Brochure
The Nancy Thompson Library has implemented an electronic reserve service. Library Electronic Reserves service scans paper copies of instructional materials submitted by faculty into PDF format and makes them available to Kean University students via the Library's webpage: http://library.kean.edu.
Professors are invited to participate in the Kean University's Library Electronic Reserves project. A Course Reserve form can be downloaded from the Library's webpage: http://library.kean.edu/lib-res.htm. For best results, your browser needs to be Netscape 7.0 (or higher) or Internet Explorer 6.0 (or higher.) You may submit a completed form and paper copies of materials to be placed on reserve at the Circulation Desk. At this time, Course Reserve Forms cannot be submitted electronically. Confirmation of receipt of your Electronic Reserves will be sent via email.
When library staff are reviewing documents submitted for Electronic Reserves they will be considering the four factors of Fair Use as provided by Copyright Law (Title 17, Section 107):
- Purpose of the Use
- Nature of the Work
- Amount of the Work
- Effect on the Market for the Original
Additionally, copyrighted material submitted for repeated use is subject to the approval of the copyright holder.
- If royalty fees charged for the use of copyrighted material are deemed to be excessive by the Library, the material will not be made available electronically.
- These items will be made available in print format only at the Nancy Thompson Library's Circulation Desk.
To assure that Electronic Reserves material will be available by the first week of classes, please submit your completed Course Reserve form with copies of course materials two weeks prior to the start of each semester. Electronic Reserves material will be accepted up until the last week of each semester. Please allow two weeks processing time during the semester for materials to be available online.
- A completed Course Reserve form must accompany submitted material before your request can be processed. To assure legibility, forms should be typed or printed.
- A blank Course Reserve form can be obtained by going to http://library.kean.edu/lib-res.htm and printing out the form.
- When all course material has been listed on the Course Reserve Form bring the form to the Nancy Thompson Library Circulation Desk along with copies of the material to be placed on Electronic Reserves.
- Material will be processed on a first come/first serve basis (See Electronic Reserves Submission Deadlines). A maximum of 30 items may be submitted per class.
- Full bibliographic citations are required for each article submitted.
- Paper submissions of course material should be clean, high quality photocopies.
- Electronic Reserves articles exceeding 25 pages (8.5" x 11") will be available on traditional reserve only.
- All Electronic Reserves material will be removed at the end of the semester/summer sessions unless a Course Reserve Request is made to continue your materials according to the schedule specified above under Electronic Reserves Submission Deadlines.
Please complete the Course Reserve Form and bring it to the Nancy Thompson Library Circulation Desk. Electronic Reserves cannot be processed until all course materials listed on the submitted form have been received.
Faculty need to continue to have students purchase textbooks, course reading and other required readings which are necessary for successful completion of assignments. Electronic Reserves is intended to provide supplemental course readings and is not an alternative to purchasing texts.
If you have questions, please contact Marquan Mutazz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 737-4619.
Please consult the Electronic Reserves Brochure for step-by-step instructions for accessing and retrieving electronic reserve items at the Kean University Library. Please note: this document will appear as a tri-fold brochure. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view the brochure.
Copyright © 2011, Kean University Library.
Originally compiled by Geraldine Fallon, February 2007.