Speech and Hearing Test
Every education major is required to complete a speech and hearing test.  Many departments require the test to be completed as a requirement of admission to the major.  Please check with your individual program/department.

The speech and hearing test is a short, fifteen minute aural and spoken test.  The test is held in Room L-104 on the East Campus on North Avenue.  Students may sign up for an appointment at    


Praxis Testing/Certification Information

Beginning in September 2006 and for all subsequent semesters, all College of Education students MUST schedule, take and pass the Praxis II exam(s) for their area of certification PRIOR to beginning the professional internship field experience.  A copy of all  pages of the Examinee Score Report from ETS (Educational Testing Services) must be attached to the professional internship application showing proof of a passing Praxis II score or must be submitted to the Teaching Performance Center by the posted deadlines (August 1 for fall internships; November 1 for spring internships).  Students are encouraged to take the Praxis test as early as possible leaving sufficient time to retake the test, if necessary, and to receive score reports for submission to the Teaching Performance Center by the posted deadlines.  Information on Praxis II testing dates, registration deadlines, testing sites and sample tests can be found at

If proof of a passing Praxis II test is not submitted with the internship field experience application, the student must submit a copy of an admissions ticket showing the dates when the appropriate test(s) have been scheduled. Scores must then be submitted to the Teaching Performance Center no later than August 1 for a fall semester internship placement and no later than November 1 for a spring semester internship placement.

Students who do not submit passing Praxis II scores to the Teaching Performance Center by the posted deadlines or do not pass the Praxis II for their area of certification will be ineligible to perform the professional internship.

Beginning with the September 2009 test administration, students can only access their Examinee Score Report online at via their ETS Account.  The score report will only be available for a short time; therefore, students should download and save the report as well as print several copies of the report for future use. 

How Will I Get Certified to Teach?

Substitute Teacher Certification

Many school districts are now requiring that any field placement student possess a current substitute certification including a criminal background history check. 

Kean University strongly recommends that all College of Education students obtain a county Substitute Teacher License as soon as they have earned 60 credits.  Students will then be prepared for all placement opportunities.  Substitute certification also allows students an opportunity to gain valuable classroom experience in addition to field work, as well as providing a bridge to gaining employment between completing an approved program and obtaining the standard teaching license from the state.

In order to obtain a substitute certificate, students should apply to be a substitute teacher in their hometown by going to the human resources department of their  local board of education building.  There they will be able to obtain all of the necessary paperwork to apply for county substitute certification and to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check. 

FAQ About Substitute Teaching Certification