Applying for a Field Experience Placement
Preprofessional Field Experience and
Applications are available in the Teaching Performance Center
All application packets are color-coded:
PINK - Professional Internship (Fall & Spring)
Upon receipt of an application packet, the student is expected to:
1. Complete both sides of the application card and sign and date the card. Please print all information on the card.
2. Complete a Personal Data Sheet and submit four (4) copies with the application card (6 copies for PE/Health and Fine Arts)
3. Review your course requirements, GPA, transcript, and prerequisites for field experience with your program advisor & complete the Eligibility Checklist. If your GPA is below 3.0 (admission prior to 9/1/12 requirement is 2.75 GPA), if you have not completed the appropriate prerequisites, or if you have received a grade of D, F or INC in any professional education course, you will be ineligible to be placed or to remain in a field placement site.
4. Attach a paper copy of your Examinee Score Report(s) form the appropriate Praxis exam(s) (Praxis I exam report for Preprofessional Field Experience. Praxis II for Professional Internship). The College of Education requires that all students must pass the appropriate Praxis exam(s) BEFORE they are eligible to perform field work. All students who have not passed the appropriate Praxis exam(s) at the time of application for field work must attach a copy of their ETS admission ticket(s). Passing scores must subsequently be submitted to the Teaching Performance Center by the appropriate deadlines (August 1 for the fall semester; November 1 for the spring semester). Please visit http://www.ets.org/praxis for more information about the Praxis tests and to register.
5. An Eligibility Checklist is provided in the application packet to assist in reviewing requirements for field work. This form must be completed and signed by the student and the the program advisor.
6. Secure the signature of your designated program advisor on both the application card and the eligibility checklist. (Students in the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Program can also have their application signed by Ms. Ethel Eaddy Thomas, Director of Teacher Certification). The application card and checklist must bear this signature to be accepted by the Teaching Performance Center. For students at Kean-Ocean, Mr. Robert Colangelo, student advisor, will sign the application card conditionally. The application card will then be forwarded to the Program Advisor on the Union campus for his/her approval and signature.
7. Requests for special considerations in placement or requests for placement at a worksite MUST be in writing and MUST be attached to the application. Requests for placements at worksites must be signed by your program coordinator. (See application packet for further information.)
8. Transfer students MUST attached a copy of their Kean University transfer evaluation (NOT a transcript). To create a Transfer Evaluation, log in to KeanWISE and click on "Transfer Equivalency" under the "Academic Program" heading located on the right side of the page.
9. Return the following to the Teaching Performance Center in Hennings Hall 215 (Kean-Ocean students return to Instructional Bldg, Room 200) by the appropriate deadline:
APPLICATIONS MISSING ANY OF THE ABOVE REQUIRED ITEMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
ALL STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE A LETTER FROM OUR OFFICE INDICATING THE SCHOOL DISTRICT/SCHOOL/AGENCY IN WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN PLACED FOR THEIR FIELD WORK. IT IS THE STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SCHEDULE AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CONTACT PERSON UPON RECEIPT OF THIS PLACEMENT LETTER.
If you have applied for a field experience in a particular semester, you will receive more information about orientation in the mail approximately one month prior to the start of that semester. Orientations are usually held in mid-January for the spring semester and in late August for the fall semester. Also check the TPC website for updated information about orientation.