Applying for a Field Experience Placement
Preprofessional Field Experience and
Applications are available in the Teaching Performance Center
All application packets are color-coded:
PINK - Professional Internship (Fall & Spring)
Upon receipt of an application packet, the student is expected to:
1. Complete both sides of the application card and sign and date the card. Please print all information on the card.
2. Complete a Personal Data Sheet and submit four (4) copies with the application card
3. Review your course requirements, GPA, transcript, and prerequisites for field experience with your program advisor & complete the Eligibility Checklist. If your GPA is below 3.0 (admission prior to 9/1/12 requirement is 2.75 GPA), if you have not completed the appropriate prerequisites, or if you have received a grade of D, F or INC in any professional education course, you will be ineligible to be placed or to remain in a field placement site.
For students who are performing an internship: Beginning with the Fall 2006 semester, all College of Education students seeking initial teacher certification must pass the Praxis II test for their area of certification PRIOR to performing the professional internship. Click here for a list of certifications and respective Praxis II test to meet this requirement. Students must submit a photocopy of the Examinee Score Report showing a passing Praxis II score to the Teaching Performance Center in Hennings Hall 215 by the posted deadlines in order to be eligible to perform the internship.
4. An Eligibility Checklist is provided in the application packet to assist in reviewing requirements for field work. This form must be completed and signed by the student and the the program advisor.
5. Secure the signature of your designated program advisor on both the application card and the eligibility checklist. (Students in the Post-Baccalaureate Teacher Certification Program must also secure Ms. Ethel Eaddy Thomas's signature in addition to the program advisor.) The application card and checklist must bear this signature to be accepted by the Teaching Performance Center. For students at Kean-Ocean, Mr. Robert Colangelo, student advisor, will sign the application card conditionally. The application card will then be forwarded to the Program Advisor on the Union campus for his/her approval and signature.
6. Requests for special considerations in placement or requests for placement at a worksite MUST be in writing and MUST be attached to the application. (See application packet for further information.)
7. Transfer students MUST attached a copy of their Kean University transcript evaluation. Do not attach transcripts from Kean or other universities.
8. Return the following to the Teaching Performance Center in Hennings Hall 215 (Kean-Ocean students return to Instructional Bldg, Room 200) by the appropriate deadline:
APPLICATIONS MISSING ANY OF THE ABOVE REQUIRED ITEMS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
ALL STUDENTS WILL RECEIVE A LETTER FROM OUR OFFICE INDICATING THE SCHOOL DISTRICT/SCHOOL/AGENCY IN WHICH THEY HAVE BEEN PLACED FOR THEIR FIELD WORK. IT IS THE STUDENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO SCHEDULE AN INTERVIEW WITH THE CONTACT PERSON UPON RECEIPT OF THIS PLACEMENT LETTER.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
Mandatory orientation to field experiences for the above semesters will be held on the following dates:
These dates are tentative. If you have applied for a field experience in a particular semester, you will receive more information about orientation approximately one month prior to the start of that semester.