Although variety exists among speakers, many, probably most, people have expectations with respect to grammar, usage, punctuation, and spelling—expectations that affect how readers understand you and perceive you. This page brings together resources to support you in meeting academic expectations for grammar, punctuation, and spelling. The first two resources listed below should cover many of your questions.
- Grammar, Punctuation, and Spelling (Purdue OWL)
- Guide to Grammar & Writing
- Barton, Matt, James Kalmbach, and Charlie Lowe (eds.) Web Writing Style Guide
For those wanting a more indepth understanding of grammar, punctuation, spelling, and usage, see these books.
- Paul Brians' Common Errors in English looks at spelling, diction, and usage errors.
- Jack Lynch's Guide to Grammar and Style covers usage, spelling, and grammar.
- Online English Grammar is a fairly comprehensive book on grammar for English language learners.
Quizzes can help you check your understanding of grammar and punctuation. See the following sites for quizzes.