Communicating with professors, students, potential employers, and others often requires more formal writing than you might use with friends. The following presentations from Purdue OWL offer advice on email etiquette:
If you want to learn more about common software programs, use the tutorials below:
- Designing an Effective Powerpoint Presentation (Purdue OWL)
Word Processing and more...
One advantage of using online applications is that you can access your work from any computer in the world.
- Google docs (word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation apps)
- Zoho (online office suite, productivity tools, and utilities)
- OpenOffice (a suite of applications similar to MS Office)
- Rough Draft (word processing for writers)
- yWriter (word processing for writers)
Whether you have a computer or now, it can be useful to be able to carry your software with you on a flash drive. To do so, see
For more lists of free software, see Applications.