3 Minute Pitch Program
The 3 Minute Pitch (3MP) program is a new and different way to encourage and support faculty research. Rather than asking individual faculty to submit applications that are reviewed by their Deans, we are turning the process around and asking Executive Directors, Chairs and Deans to submit an application.
In a 2019 survey, over 60% of Kean faculty respondents said that making connections to other faculty is one of their most important needs. In response, the theme of the first 3MP award cycle is “Proposal Development Teams”.
This award program encourages innovative approaches by Executive Directors, Chairs and Deans, connecting projects and skills sets across their faculty, and faculty in other areas/schools/colleges.
The goal of the 3MP: Proposal Development Teams program is to support teams of faculty through the ideation, planning and writing stages of a proposal with the final goal of submitting a major proposal to a pre-identified external funding program.
Examples of eligible programs for the 3MP 2021 application cycle are listed below. Applicants are free to target other programs that might better support their project but must include an explanation of why that particular program was selected.
Teams may also be formed to develop and prepare individual faculty research proposals to the same program, such as the NIH AREA/REAP or the NSF RUI programs. In these instances, the team functions as a writing and peer review group. Applications of this type must describe the research topic for each team member and a management plan for the proposal development activities.
Eligible Programs – 2021 Cycle
- National Endowment for the Humanities – Humanities Initiatives at Hispanic Serving Institutions
- National Institutes of Health - Faculty Institutional Recruitment for Sustainable Transformation (FIRST) program
- National Science Foundation – S-STEM program
- National Endowment for the Humanities – Connections: Innovative Curricular Partnerships
- National Institutes of Health - Enhancing Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math Educational Diversity (ESTEEMED) Research Education Experiences
- Spencer Foundation – Large Education Research Grants
- U.S. Department of Education: Institute of Education Science – Education Research Grants
- Teagle Foundation: Learning for Living; Knowledge for Freedom
- W.T. Grant Foundation: Institutional Challenge Grant
- Russell Sage Foundation: Social, Political and Economic Inequality
- Limit of one application per school or department
- Applications should be submitted either as a video (maximum length of 3 minutes) or as a Word document (maximum 400 words).
- All applications should be emailed to email@example.com with “3MP Application” in the subject line.
- Applications will be accepted starting January 4, 2021.
- The deadline to submit either a 3 minute video or a 400 word description is March 1, 2021.
Applicants should request the funding needed to successfully complete the project.
EXAMPLES OF ALLOWABLE COSTS
- Faculty summer stipends
- Equipment, materials and supplies
- Note: equipment purchased with seed grant funding is the property of the University
- Specialized software and databases
- Student support for research purposes
- Conference travel or registration fees
- Organization membership fees
- Publication fees
- Retroactive charges for expenditures incurred prior to award approval
The review period is March 1, 2021 – March 15, 2021.
The project period is April 1, 2021 – September 30, 2021
Awardees will be asked to acknowledge their intent to apply to a specific program by a projected application date, which must be within one year of the award date, depending on the funder’s deadline.
Applications must be submitted by an Executive Director, Chair or Dean on behalf of a team of faculty. The faculty who have been invited and have agreed to participate on the team must be identified in the application. All full-time Kean faculty with a home location on one of the U.S. campuses are eligible to participate on a team.