Insurance Coverage Update
OPEN ENROLLMENT IS UNDERWAY FOR THE 2017 HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE
Kean University does not offer a student health insurance plan. Students must obtain their own health insurance that is compliant with the Federal Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act (PPACA). Those individuals who do not have coverage with a PPACA compliant plan will be subject to tax fines. The Federal Government has established health insurance exchanges that allow families and individuals to compare coverage and related costs among a variety of insurance companies.
The open enrollment period runs from November 15, 2016 to January 31, 2017
How to Apply
- Online: https://www.healthcare.gov/ or https://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/es/
- Phone: 1-800-318-2596 (TTY:855-889-4325)
- For in-person enrollment, visit: https://localhelp.healthcare.gov
- November 1, 2016: Open Enrollment starts: Enroll, re-enroll, or change your plan.
- December 15, 2016: Last day to enroll, re-enroll, or change plans
- January 1, 2017: Coverage starts for those who enrolled by December 15.
- January 31, 2017: Last day to enroll, re-enroll, or change your health plan. After this date, recipients can enroll or change plans only if they qualify.
Please remember that federal law requires all citizens to have health insurance. Residential students, athletes, and students enrolled in the Center for International Studies program will continue to be required to show proof of insurance.
- Residential students and students enrolled in the Center for International Studies program must provide proof of insurance beginning June 1, 2016. Log onto KeanWISE, click the “Students” tab, and under the “Other” heading, click the Residential and International Students Proof of Insurance Submission link.
- Athletes: For information on how to provide proof of insurance to Athletics, please visit Athletic Training.