Page Header

Financial Aid

Page Sub Header

At Kean we'll help you navigate the aid process.

Financial Aid

Home > Office Search > Financial Aid


The Office of Financial Aid is dedicated to educating students regarding the various aid programs that make attending college affordable for all.  We offer flexible hours of service, and our financial aid counselors are available to assist students with the financial aid process. Students can finance their college education through need-based federal and state grants, scholarships, federal work study and low- interest Federal Direct Stafford Loans. 

Current Kean students can view their financial aid application status, missing documents and awards through the Financial Aid Self Service. Simply use your KeanWISE log- in credentials to access your account. 

Our page is full of helpful information so please check it out.  If you don't find what you're looking for here, please call us at (908)737-3190 or email us at with any questions you may have.  You can also "LIKE" us on

Office Hours: August 14 - 26
Monday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Saturday 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Sunday Closed



The U.S. Department of Education and the Internal Revenue Service recently issued the following statement: "To protect sensitive taxpayer data, the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on and will be unavailable until extra security protections can be added. The tool is expected to be back online in Fall 2017, when the next FAFSA season begins."  To read the full announcement, click here

Although the IRS DRT is unavailable, you can still access FAFSA on the Web and complete the application.  Have your and/or your parents' 2015 tax information available as you complete the FAFSA.  

The USDE also provided guidance to colleges and universities, in relation to Federal Verification.   As a result, the Office of Financial Aid is giving students selected for Verification additional options for completing the process, through the 2017-2018 award year.  For details, visit our Verification link.

We will provide further updates as they become available.



Need to create your FSA ID?  This quick video can help you navigate the process.

Have you completed your FAFSA yet?  If not, you may find this video tutorial may be very helpful.


How To Apply for Financial Aid

How To Apply for Financial Aid 

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application used to apply for need based financial aid for state and federal programs.

For Renewal Applicants please click here

Tuition and Fees

2017-2018 Estimated Summary of Costs (Per Semester)

  In-State  Out-of-State
Tuition and Fees $6,053.50 $9,504.50
Room and Board $6,756.50 $6,756.50
Total $12,810.00 $16,261.00
*Based on full-time status. Room for residence is based on double occupancy. Board is based on Freshman meal plan. 

Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for full listing.   

Types of Aid

Grants  awarded to students that show they have financial need. Grants typically do not require repayment

Loans  a source of aid that must be repaid, usually with interest, after you graduate or stop going to school

Scholarships awarded to students based on special talents, skills or high academic achievement

Federal Work Study a program where students may work and earn money to help pay for school

Financial Aid Calendar

October 1, 2016 FEDERAL The 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available to all students to apply for financial aid
November 16, 2016 NJ STATE Deadline for reporting a change in college choice for fall 2016 and spring 2017
November 30, 2016 FEDERAL  Recommended last day to submit a 2016-2017 FAFSA for the fall 2016 semester for students not returning for spring 2017. Applications filed after this date may be subject to delays which could affect eligibility.
December 28, 2016 UTW Last day to submit a completed Unemployment Tuition Waiver form for winter 2017
January 17, 2017 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Last day to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form to be considered for spring 2017. Appeals will not be accepted beyond this date.
January 24, 2017 UTW Last day to submit a completed Unemployment Tuition Waiver for spring 2017
March 1, 2017 NJ STATE Deadline for new students applying for State Aid for spring 2017
March 15, 2017 NJ STATE Deadline for reporting a college choice for spring 2017
April 15, 2017 INSTITUTIONAL Priority filing deadline date for completing the 2017-2018 FAFSA. Applications filed after this date may be subject to delays which could affect eligibility
April 15, 2017 NJ STATE Deadline for continuing students to apply for NJ State aid for fall 2017 and spring 2018
April 28, 2017 FEDERAL Recommended last day to submit a completed 2016-2017 FAFSA for those students attending the 2017 Spring Semester only. Applications filed after this date may be subject to delays which could affect eligibility
May 25, 2017 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Last day to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form to be considered for 2017 summer sessions I and II.
May 31, 2017 UTW Last day to submit a completed Unemployment Tuition Waiver for 2017 summer session I
June 19, 2017 FWS The Office of Financial Aid begins accepting applications for Federal Work Study for the 2017-2018 school year.
June 30, 2017 FEDERAL Last day to submit a completed 2016-2017 FAFSA. (Contact the Office of Financial Aid as some restrictions may apply)
July 13, 2017 UTW Last day to submit a completed Unemployment Tuition Waiver for 2017 summer session II
August 1, 2017 Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeals Last day to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal form to be considered for fall 2017.  Appeals will not be accepted beyond this date. 
September 15, 2017 NJ STATE Deadline for new students applying for NJ State aid for fall 2017 and spring 2018

Important Telephone Numbers
CALL 1-800-792-8670 to inquire about your Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) for State aid
Call 1-800-433-3243 to inquire about your Student Aid Report (SAR) for Federal aid

Students who apply after the deadline are responsible for paying their college cost while their financial aid application is being processed.

**The Office of Financial Aid reserves the right to modify the above dates without prior notice.


What is the correct website for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

Where do I register for a FSA ID?

What is a FSA ID?
The FSA ID is comprised of a username and password and is used to login to certain Federal Student Aid websites, such as and  It is also used as an electronic signature.  All students (and parents of dependent students) must create a FSA ID.  

What is Kean University's FAFSA Federal School Code?

How Long Will It Take Before Kean University's Office Of Financial Aid Receives A Report Of My Submitted FAFSA?
If you have completed the FAFSA online (with Kean University listed as a recipient), Kean University will generally receive notification within 2 weeks. If you have mailed in a paper FAFSA it could take up to 6-8 weeks.

After I Submit My FAFSA, What Types Of Feedback Will I Receive? 
Generally, you’ll receive:

  • Student Aid Report (SAR) from the Federal government. The SAR will provide a summary of your FAFSA and list any rejects or problems with the application. The SAR will inform the student if additional information must be provided to the school. It will also notify you of your estimated eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant and Direct Stafford Loans.

  • Student Eligibility Notice (SEN) from the State of New Jersey (only for undergraduate students who have been legal residents of the State of New Jersey for at least one full year). The SEN will notify you of your estimated eligibility for State TAG (Tuition Aid Grant) as well as notify you if any additional information must be provided to the State.

  • Kean University financial aid award notification via your Kean email and KeanWise accounts.

  • The Office of Financial Aid may require you to submit specific documents in order to complete your aid package. You will also be notified of any document requests through your Kean email and KeanWise accounts.

Why Can't My Parent Call and Get Answers About My Financial Aid?
FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) regulations limit the information that can be released to someone other than the student. A student can use their KeanWise account to grant a third party access to the student’s educational records. The student can do this by following the instructions under the section marked “Student Educational Records Release” on KeanWise.

I Need More Money To Pay For School. Where Can I Obtain Scholarship Information? 
The Office of Scholarship Services can assist students with information pertaining to Kean University scholarships. For additional loans, parents of dependent students can apply for a Parent PLUS Loan and all students can apply for Private Loans.

Should I Fill Out A FAFSA If I Am Not Sure That I Will Need Financial Aid? 
Circumstances can change and it is helpful to submit a FAFSA. You may find that you are eligible for grants or loans with little to no interest. By filing the FAFSA your information will be processed and available for you in case you decide you may want or need aid.

I Pay My Own Bills And I Think I Am Independent. Do I Need To Provide My Parents' Information On My FAFSA?
Step 3 of your FAFSA will determine if you can be considered as an independent student. For financial aid purposes, students are usually considered dependents of their parents and the parent information should be supplied. If there are unusual circumstances, you may apply for a Dependency Override.

I Have Unusual Circumstances That May Affect My Ability To Pay For School (Unemployment, Disability, etc).  What can I do?
You may complete a Special Conditions Application. This application requires copies of certain documents to substantiate your application and to assist the counselor in determining your eligibility for additional aid. Once this application and supporting documents are submitted, the Office of Financial Aid will reevaluate your financial situation and determine whether any adjustments can be made to your income information. This may result in a change in your financial aid eligibility.

Why Are You Asking Me For Copies Of My IRS Tax Return Transcripts and W2'S?
If a student is selected for a process called "verification", the school is required by the Federal government to collect certain documents from the student and (for dependent students) their parents. Students who fail to submit the requested information may be ineligible to receive financial aid for that particular academic year.

What Is An IRS Tax Return Transcript And How Can I Get It?
The U.S.Department of Education has instructed schools to obtain IRS Tax Return Transcripts for students who are selected for verification. Therefore, the Office of Financial Aid can no longer accept tax return forms 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Students can visit the IRS website and request an IRS tax return transcript via a downloadable PDF file or through the mail. The IRS will mail the transcript to your home (usually within 10-14 days). There is no charge for an IRS tax return transcript.

What Is The IRS Data Retrieval Tool? 
When completing the FAFSA, students who qualify will be asked if they would like to use the IRS Data Retrieval tool. The FAFSA will redirect you to the IRS website, where you can transfer your tax information directly on to the FAFSA to ensure you do not make any mistakes. If you are eligible to use the tool, it is highly recommended that you use this method to report your income data. Once you upload the information, do not change any of the income figures.

I Submitted The Required Document; When Should I Expect My Financial Aid To Be Posted?
The verification process typically takes about 2-3 weeks (processing may take longer during peak time). Once it is completed, your aid package will be finalized (unless changes to your enrollment status or Satisfactory Academic Progress status occur). If any corrections were made to your FAFSA during verification, you will receive a revised award letter and an updated SAR.

How Do I Apply For A NJ Tuition Aid Grant (TAG)? 
After completing your FAFSA, the confirmation page will prompt you to complete your State application. If you did not do this, you can go to and click on the “Report Additional Information for State Aid” link to apply for TAG.

What Is SAP? What Are The Requirements?
All students receiving financial aid are required to meet minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards. For a full explanation of this policy, please see click to see the Satisfactory Academic Policy section of our website.

What Is Federal Work Study (FWS)?
Federal Work Study is financial aid assistance available to students with “financial need” (as determined by the FAFSA) that is received as a bi-weekly paycheck based on hours worked at an assigned on or off campus department. FWS does not go directly toward the cost of tuition, fees, or housing. The number of job assignments is limited.

How Can I Apply For FWS? 
The FWS application can be found here. A step-by-step outline of the application process can be found here. AFTER the application is submitted to the Office of Financial Aid, you will receive an email from the Federal Work Study Coordinator with additional instructions.

What Jobs Are Available For FWS Students? 
Once the student meets with the FWS coordinator, he/she will be notified of available positions on and off campus. We try our best to place students in departments that fit their skills and interests.

I Need To Speak To An Advisor.  How Do I Do That? 
If you would like to speak to a specific financial aid counselor, you can schedule an appointment with them here. You can also walk-in any time during our office hours and someone will be available to assist you. Our normal office hours are 8am-6pm Mon, Tues, and Thurs; 8am-8pm on Wednesdays; 8am-5pm on Fridays; and 9am-1pm on most Saturdays. Please note that these hours may change during the summer sessions, winter break, spring break, etc. Students can also email us at or call us at (908)737-3190. Our phone hours differ slightly from our in-office hours.  Our phone hours are 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri.

Do I Need To Complete A FAFSA Every Year For Financial Aid? 
Yes, each academic year is separate, and the FAFSA is needed in order to receive aid.

What Is The Master Promissory Note (MPN)? What Is The Entrance Counseling? 
For Direct Stafford Loans, both the MPN and entrance counseling are online forms that first time borrowers must complete before receiving any loan disbursement. You can complete both at
For Perkins Loans, students will receive the MPN and entrance counseling forms in their email. They are to be filled out entirely and sent back to the Kean University Office of Financial Aid.

I Don't Want The Loans Offered To Me. What Do I Do? 
You can decline your loans on your KeanWise account under the section marked “Accept/Reject Loans.” You can also decline and/or reduce your loans in person by submitting a signed Loan Adjustment Form to the Office of Financial Aid.

How Can I Apply For The PLUS Loan? 
A parent of an undergraduate dependent student can apply for a Parent PLUS Loan at Parents are required to complete a Master Promissory Note in order to complete the PLUS Loan application process. Graduate students can apply for a Graduate PLUS at the same website. We begin accepting PLUS Loan applications for upcoming years on July 1st.

Are Student Loans, Parent Loans, and Private Loans Considered Financial Aid? 
Yes. Although loans are funds that must be repaid, they are considered a type of financial aid.

Is My KeanWise Password and FSA ID Number The Same? 
No. The FSA ID is used only for Federal aid websites and your KeanWise password is administered by Kean University.

Ethical Principles



Schedule Appointment

Inner Page Footer