2017-2018 FAFSA Information to Be Verified
The following is a list of documents and information that the Office of Financial Aid may request for applicants who complete a FAFSA for the 2017-2018 award year and are selected for verification by the U.S. Department of Education. Information is to be verified for the applicant and, if applicable, his/her parent(s) or spouse.
Information to Be Verified - The required information may differ from student to student. The Office of Financial Aid will inform each student which specific information must be verified:
- Adjusted Gross Income (tax filers only)
- Income Tax Paid (tax filers only)
- Untaxed Income, including, but not limited to: untaxed pensions, child support received, veteran's non-education benefits, and money paid on behalf of the student
- Number of Household Members
- Number of Household Members enrolled at least half-time at an eligible post-secondary institution
- High School Completion Status
- Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
- Income Earned from Work
- Statement of Non-Filing (non-tax filers only)
You can find some of the requested forms by clicking here.
Under certain conditions, applicants who were selected for verification will need to submit a 2015 IRS Tax Return or Tax Return Transcript for the applicant and, if applicable, his/her parent(s) or spouse to the Office of Financial Aid.
*** VERIFICATION PROCESS UPDATE***
The U.S. Department of Education recently issued verification guidance to colleges and universities, in relation to the temporary outage of the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. As a result, the Office of Financial Aid has made the following changes to Kean University’s verification process through the 2017-2018 award year:
- Tax filers can submit either a copy of their Federal Tax Return or the Tax Return Transcript from the IRS. The conditions and processes for each are described below.
- Non Tax Filers will not be required to obtain a Verification of Non-Filing Letter from the IRS. They must still, however, complete an institutional Statement of Tax Non-Filing for 2015 form and – if applicable - attach a copy of 2015 Wage and Tax Statement(s) (Form W-2) for each employer.
IRS Federal Tax Return
Students and/or parents who filed IRS Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ for tax year 2015 can submit a signed copy of the appropriate form. IRS Form 1040 filers who reported a figure on Line 12 must attach a copy of Schedule C (or C-EZ) to the return; those who reported an amount on Line 17 must attach a copy of Schedule E.
The IRS Tax Return must be signed by the tax filer, and the entries on the form must be computer-generated, i.e., cannot be handwritten. Otherwise, the filer must obtain an IRS Tax Return Transcript as described below.
IRS Tax Return Transcript
Tax filers who were unable to use the IRS DRT on the FAFSA or did not file their tax return via computer, can request a transcript of their 2015 Federal Tax Return from the IRS, free of charge, by one of the following methods:
- Online (Downloadable PDF) – Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript and click “Get Transcript ONLINE.” (First-time users must create an account.) When asked for the Type of Transcript, select the “Tax Return Transcript” for tax year 2015.
- U.S. Mail - Go to https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript and click “Get Transcript by MAIL.” (You do not have to create an account.) When asked for the Type of Transcript, select the “Tax Return Transcript” for tax year 2015.
- Telephone Request – Call the IRS at (800) 908-9946. Follow the prompts to enter your SSN and the numbers in your street address. Sect Option “2” to request a Tax Return Transcript, and then enter “2015”.
- IRS Form 4506T-EZ - Download from https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506tez.pdf . Complete lines 1-4 and 6 [enter “2015”], and mail the form to the address (or fax it to the fax number) on Page 2. Do not list Kean University as a third-party recipient on line 5; the transcript must be sent to the student or parent.
If using Options 2-4, allow 5-10 business days for mail delivery.
- When submitting tax and verification documents to the Office of Financial Aid, write the student’s name and Kean ID# at the top of each page.
- If the student or parent is married but filed separately from their spouse, both spouses’ tax documents must be submitted.
- If the filer amended their 2015 tax return, attach a signed copy of IRS Form 1040X to the required tax documents
- Keep copies of all verification documents for your records.