Kean University is committed to the highest standards of integrity and responsibility in all research activities.
Overview of Training Requirements
Beginning in academic year 2017-2018, the Human Subjects Protection program at Kean University will require all new IRB applicants and faculty research advisors to complete Human Subjects Research training provided by the Collaborative Institutional Training Institute (CITI) program. Applicants who have current NIH training certificates will need to complete CITI training when their current NIH certificate expires.
The link below explains how to create a CITI user account and then how to access the correct group of learning modules based on your research.
FOR REQUIRED TRAINING AS OF AY 17-18 see this chart
National Science Foundation (NSF) Supported Research
Section 7009 of the America Competes Act, signed into law in 2007 and effective January 4, 2010, mandates training in the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) for all researchers supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF). Completion of the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) RCR course satisfies this requirement. Responsibility for compliance with the NSF RCR mandate rests primarily with principal investigators.
- All faculty, staff, graduate, and undergraduate students supported by the National Science Foundation (NSF) to conduct research on awards made after January 4, 2010 must complete Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) training before starting any research activity
- Principal investigators, co-investigators and senior personnel submitting NSF proposals are encouraged to complete training through the CITI RCR training course at the time of proposal submission to NSF.
- No new award accounts will be established without documentation of RCR training completion for all principal investigators, co-investigators, and senior personnel included within the NSF award.
- No payments will be approved for researchers or students on an NSF award until the RCR training is complete and certification has been provided to the ORSP.
- Principal investigators shall identify staff, graduate, and undergraduate students to be hired on NSF-funded projects and ensure completion of RCR training before a hiring request will be approved.
Note: CITI training completed at another institution may be transferred to Kean University by affiliating with both institutions. Do not remove your affiliation from past institutions as CITI will also delete training records acquired at that institution.