Thank you for your interest in Kean University. Below you will find important dates and application instructions for freshman applicants. Please note, freshman with advanced standing who have earned 25+ college credits are required to apply as a transfer student. For more information, visit the Transfer Application Instructions page.
Important Dates and Deadlines- Fall Enrollment
- December 1: Early Action Deadline – Students who submit and complete their Early Action application by December 1 are guaranteed an Admissions decision by January 1. Other benefits to accepted early action applicants are an early action scholarship award and priority placement testing appointments, registration, housing selection, and financial aid packaging.
- EXTENDED: April 15: Application Deadline for STEM Programs. This includes the four NJCTSM academic programs in Science & Mathematics, Biomedicine, Engineering and Biotechnology listed on the NJCTSM page.
- April 15: Preferred FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) Deadline.
- April 30: Preferred Application Deadline. Applications are accepted on a rolling-basis thereafter.
- May 1: Preferred Tuition Deposit Deadline.
- May 1: Exceptional Educational Opportunities/Educational Opportunity Fund (EEO/EOF) Program Application Deadline (Fall semester admission only).
STEP 1: Complete a Kean University Online Application.
Kean University is also a member institution of The Common Application.
STEP 2: Submit Payment
You will have an opportunity to pay the application fee of $75.00 directly through the online application. Once you've completed the application, submit both the application and the application fee.
If you prefer to pay by mail, please send a check payable to Kean University to the address listed below in Step 3.
STEP 3: Send Supporting Documentation
The following items are required to be considered for admission:
- An official high school transcript indicating 16 college preparatory courses, including: English (4), mathematics (3), history (2). lab sciences (2), and approved electives in social studies, science, mathematics or foreign languages (5).
- SAT or ACT test scores (Kean CEEB number is 2517).
The three items listed below are recommended, not required:
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. Letters may be from teachers, counselors, employers, coaches, etc.
- Personal essay (1-2 pages) expressing your educational and professional career goals.
- List of your high school activities and/or work experiences, indicating any leadership positions held.
Please review the additional application requirements for consideration into the following programs:
For additional information about the above items, please read How to Submit Application Items.
Please send all supporting documents listed above to the following address:
Admissions Offices, Kean Hall
1000 Morris Ave
Union, NJ 07083
Standardized Testing Procedures
Kean University will accept the ACT as well as the former and redesigned SAT (rSAT) scores (beginning in spring 2016) for the purpose of admission, scholarship, placement test exemption, and/or program qualification consideration. Applicants may submit scores from any of these three standardized tests.
Kean will continue to evaluate the Evidence-based Reading and Writing (ERW) / Critical Reading (CR) & Math (M) sections only for the SAT and rSAT. The writing section will continue to be excluded from the admissions consideration process.
Kean will continue to super score, taking the highest level converted score of the ERW / CR & M sections, from both the former SAT and rSAT, including a combination of both; and on the ACT.
Our rSAT score review process will follow the official concordance tables made available from the College Board after the first administration of the redesigned SAT, on May 9. 2016, found here: https://collegereadiness.
Special Program Information
Exceptional Educational Opportunities/Educational Opportunities Fund (EEO/EOF): This program provides access to higher education to educationally and financially disadvantaged students, as defined by the Commission on Higher Education, Educational Opportunity Fund. Students are admitted via an alternate admission category and are eligible to receive a state-funded Educational Opportunity Fund (EOF) Grant. If you are interested in applying for this program, please complete the application instructions above (selecting EEO/EOF when completing the online application) and visit our EEO/EOF websites for additional information.
Spanish Speaking Program (SSP): The Spanish Speaking Program (SSP) was established in 1972 as an initiative to provide access to higher education to Limited English Proficient (LEP) students. Through this program the students are offered college courses in Spanish during the first two years of their curriculum. If you are interested in applying for this program, please complete the application instructions above (selecting SSP when completing the online application) and visit our SSP webpages and SSP FAQs for additional information.
The Entry Program Into College (EPIC): This program is for students age 25 and older that have been away from formal education for over five years. The EPIC program enrolls both freshmen and transfer students. Students in the EPIC program will begin their studies on a part-time schedule, with less than 12 credits per semester, until successful completion of 18-24 credits, at which point they will have the options of attending full-time. If you are interested in the EPIC program, please complete the application instructions above (selecting EPIC when completing the online application) and visit our EPIC Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Admissions Appeal Request
Requests for reconsideration of the Kean University Undergraduate Admissions Application must be based upon new academic information (that was not available at the time of the original decision and) which shows a significant improvement as compared to credentials previously submitted.
If you would like to appeal your admissions decision, please email:
Carlos Nazario, Acting Director of Admissions email@example.com