How to Apply
*The application deadline is now past. We are no longer accepting applications.
The Search for Humanity After Atrocity
Kean University Master of Arts in Holocaust and Genocide Studies
Applications are due by March 1, 2021
Who Can Apply
The National Endowment for the Humanities makes clear who is eligible to apply. Here is their language:
“Participants must be United States citizens, residents of U.S. jurisdictions, or foreign nationals who have been residing in the United States or its territories for at least the three years immediately preceding the application deadline. Foreign nationals teaching abroad at non-U.S. chartered institutions are not eligible to apply. Participants may not be delinquent in the repayment of federal debt (e.g., taxes, student loans, child support payments, and delinquent payroll taxes for household or other employees).”
Within those eligibility guidelines, the Kean University seminar seeks participants who:
- are higher education faculty or educators at museums of conscience, human rights institutes located at universities, and libraries, societies, and other repositories specializing in documenting the Holocaust and other atrocities.
- are committed to interdisciplinary discussion and debate
- are intellectually curious about the aftermath of genocide and other atrocities
- are committed and passionate about their work in general
- are open-minded souls who are eager to learn: looking to improve their humanities knowledge and ultimately their teaching practice
- are good collaborators who will dive into all aspects of the program
- have not participated in a previous NEH seminar or institute
Two Commonly Asked Questions About Applying
Do I need to be proficient in genocide/atrocity studies In order to apply? No. We are looking for educators who are committed to scholarship and pedagogy in this field of study. You should be clear about why you want to be a part of this seminar and prepared to tell us why.
How rigorous Is it? The work is exhilarating and challenging. You and your work (and your students) are so important to us that in practically every moment, we want to offer you experience, opportunities, and new horizons that you can’t get anywhere else, at any other time. During this summer especially, we will be breaking new ground together—a wildly exciting prospect.
Application Submission and Recommendation Letters
Submit your application below with attached résumé no later than March 1, 2021. Let your two referees know that they need to submit their letters by March 1, 2021, too—to NEHSeminar@kean.edu.
NOTE #1: We will notify all applicants of their status on Friday, March 27, 2021. If you are an accepted applicant, you will have until Friday, April 5, 2021, to either accept or decline our offer. If you choose to decline, we will go to our list of alternates.
NOTE #2: Once you have accepted an offer to attend an NEH funded summer seminar or institute, you may not accept an additional offer or withdraw to accept a different offer.
DO YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT ANYTHING? Please reach out us at NEHSeminar@kean.edu.