May 12 - May 15, 2021
Alumni Stadium, Kean University, Union Campus
Kean University will celebrate the Class of 2021 in a series of in-person Commencement ceremonies beginning Wednesday, May 12 at Alumni Stadium on the Union campus. Ceremonies will run from Wednesday, May 12 through Saturday, May 15, with rain dates scheduled as needed. Undergraduate and graduate students, including doctoral students, will be invited to participate.
- You must register to participate by Thursday, April 15. Registration instructions have been emailed to all graduates. Only those graduates who register by the deadline will be included in the ceremonies.
- All graduates must arrive in proper graduation regalia. Regalia can be ordered below. The deadline for ordering graduation regalia has passed. If you have not ordered your graduation regalia, fill out this order form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Each college is assigned a specific ceremony or ceremonies for its graduates to attend. If your college has multiple ceremonies, you will be able to select which of those ceremonies you would like to attend. Although there is a spot for every graduate, you should register as soon as possible because some ceremonies may fill due to capacity restrictions.
- After April 15, you will not be able to swap or change your selected ceremony.
- Ceremonies are expected to last 90 minutes. If a ceremony needs to be cancelled due to heavy rain, lightning or other severe weather, you will be notified by email and an alternative day and time will be provided.
- You and your guests must wear face coverings, bring your own water, and maintain appropriate social distancing throughout the event. Seating will be arranged accordingly.
- All graduates and guests will go through a temperature screening prior to entering the event. If any person in the car fails the temperature screening, the entire car will be asked to leave.
COVID-19 safety protocols will be strictly followed, including adhering to capacity restrictions, social distancing and face covering requirements.
All ceremonies will be live streamed for guests or other members of the Kean community who are unable to attend in person.
You must log in to the Marching Order website to register and provide names and contact information for your all guests by Thursday, April 15. You can also indicate whether you or your guests require accessible seating and parking. If you do not complete your registration and provide guest information, you and/or your guests will not be permitted to enter the stadium.
9 A.M. - Ceremony #1, College of Business and Public Management
12:30 P.M. - Ceremony #2, College of Business and Public Management
4 P.M. - Ceremony #3, The Dorothy and George Hennings College of Science, Technology and Mathematics and Michael Graves College, Architecture and Design (MGC undergraduate and MGC graduate)
9 A.M. - Ceremony #4, The Dorothy and George Hennings College of Science, Technology and Mathematics and New Jersey Center for Science, Technology and Mathematics
12:30 P.M. - Ceremony #5, College of Liberal Arts
4 P.M. - Ceremony #6, College of Liberal Arts
9 A.M. - Ceremony #7, College of Education and Nathan Weiss Graduate College (Undergraduate Students)
12:30 P.M. - Ceremony #8, Master's Degree Programs
4 P.M. - Ceremony #9, Master's Degree Programs
9 A.M. - Ceremony #10, Doctoral Programs
Graduates and Guests
- You and your guests are strongly encouraged to monitor your own health in the weeks leading up to your ceremony. Anyone who is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, including fever, cough or shortness of breath, is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances. Likewise, anyone required to quarantine under the state’s travel advisory or because they had close contact with someone confirmed to have COVID-19 is NOT allowed to attend the ceremony under any circumstances.
- You should arrive on campus, already dressed in your gown, one hour before your ceremony begins via the Green Lane entrance next to Alumni Stadium. You are strongly encouraged to arrive in the same vehicle as your guests to reduce congestion.
- You and your guests must wear face coverings from the time you arrive on campus until you leave. Anyone without a mask will be denied entry.
- University staff will be taking the temperature of you and your guests while you are seated in your vehicles upon arrival. If anyone in the vehicle has a temperature over 100.4, everyone in the vehicle will be denied entry. You should wait to put on your cap until after your temperature is taken to avoid inflating the temperature reading.
- Vehicles will be directed to the Kean Hall parking lot. Please remain inside your vehicle until you are directed to the stadium. Gates will open 45 minutes before your ceremony is set to begin. No one is allowed to congregate at the entrance to the stadium or elsewhere on campus.
- Graduates will line up outside of the stadium while guests are seated. You are required to maintain social distancing from your fellow graduates while in line.
- Please note that guests who arrive together will be seated in pairs at least six feet from other guests unless otherwise requested. Anyone who arrives alone or requests to be seated alone will be seated individually at least six feet from other guests.
- Graduates will process onto the field while keeping distance from one another and sit in the chairs on the field, which have been placed an appropriate distance apart and will be sanitized between ceremonies.
- After remarks from academic leaders, you will each get the chance to hear your name called, cross the stage and pose for a picture. If you would like to bring your diploma cover, which the University mailed to you, as you cross the stage, you may do so. For safety reasons, please don’t share your diploma cover with others.
- If you wish to remove your face mask while crossing the stage and posing for your photo, you will be allowed to do so as long as you put it back on immediately after exiting the stage and returning to your seat. The University will arrange the stage to maintain social distancing.
- Be prepared for hot temperatures. The ceremony is expected to last 90 minutes. You and your guests are strongly encouraged to dress for the weather and bring your own water bottles. No other outside food or beverages are permitted and no food or beverages will be sold at the ceremony. Wear appropriate footwear for walking on the football field.
- If a ceremony needs to be cancelled due to heavy rain, lightning or other severe weather, you will be notified by email and an alternative day and time will be provided.
- No large bags are permitted in the stadium and re-entry is not permitted. You and your guests are asked to remain for the duration of the ceremony so that ushers can dismiss you in an orderly fashion with social distancing.
- You and your guests are asked to return directly to your cars to exit the campus after your ceremony is over.
Congratulations Class of 2021 Graduating Seniors! It’s your year – capture the moment!
The final date to have your Senior Portrait taken is Friday, April 16.
To view a list of available dates/times please visit www.ouryear.com enter school code 518 or call 1-800-OUR-YEAR™ (687-9327) during normal business hours.
*When you schedule your appointment, you will receive complete information on how to prepare for your portrait sitting.
*Don’t forget that you can use these portraits for your Professional Networking and Job Search sites.
** This is for graduating seniors only.
(January, May & August 2021 graduates)
It’s time to order your Kean class ring!
Have questions on the different styles, ring metals and your finger size?
Schedule a one on one 15-minute ring consultation on Zoom!
Sign up for your personalized Ring Consultation by Appointment:
Click the link to schedule yours today:
Appointments available on April 21st between 4pm – 8pm.
Capture the memories with your 2020-2021 Kean University Yearbook!
There's nothing else like your school yearbook. Get your hands on the limited edition collection of our stories from the year. Share it with your friends today and hang on to it for years to come!