Graduate Degree Candidates
Kean University confers degrees based on three annual cycles: January, May and August.
- Account Restrictions
- Ceremony Information
- Diploma Information
- Fee Information
- Graduation with Honors
- Residency Requirements
- Review of Academic Progress/Conferral Process
- Statements of Completion
- Teacher of the Year
- Transcript Delivery
Students who are within one semester of degree completion should log into their KeanWISE accounts in order to complete an application for degree completion (see deadlines below). A $100 fee will be collected at the time of submission. Only online applications and payments can be accepted; hard copies of degree applications and other forms of payment will not be accepted.
Applicants have three conferral cycles in order to fulfill their degree requirements before having to complete the application process again. This includes filling out a new application and repayment of the $100 fee. Exceptions cannot made, so proper planning with an academic advisor is imperative.
Graduate students who have completed their degree requirements with a cumulative grade point average of 4.0 and commendation on their Graduate Comprehensive Exam (when required) are recognized as graduating with distinction.
The grades from all graduate level courses, including those transferred in from another institution and those that appear on an undergraduate transcript, are included in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
Students who have earned the Graduation with Distinction designation will be recognized through a letter from the Dean of the Nathan Weiss Graduate College and such a notation will appear on the student's transcript and diploma. Graduates who have earned a 3.9 GPA will also receive a letter from the Dean. Letters are typically issued following the completion of all degree conferrals for that year (at the end of the August cycle).
- Graduation candidates are required to pay a $100 processing fee. This fee covers the processing of the degree application, a complimentary set of transcripts, caps and gowns for those participating in commencement exercises, and the diploma.
- This fee will not be waived or reduced for students who do not participate in commencement.
- Students in need of evidence of degree completed (or anticipated completion) may request a letter verifying this information to be sent to a third party. Please email request forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Attention: LATE APPLICANTS will not be given letters of completion/anticipated completion prior to the completion of requests and/or conferrals for students who adhered to established deadlines.
- Upon receipt of an application for degree conferral, the Office of the Registrar will perform an audit of the candidate’s academic record to determine eligibility for degree conferral.
- Candidates will be notified via email of any missing degree requirements in accordance with the published deadlines.
- Candidates are responsible for submitting information regarding any transfers of credit, substitutions, or extensions PRIOR to the submission of their degree application. Failure to do so may result in delays in the conferral of the degree.
- All final grades, incomplete grades, transcripts, waivers, and substitutions, MUST be received within two weeks after the degree date (January, May, August), in order to be eligible for that graduation conferral period.
- Eligible candidates’ degrees are conferred within six weeks of the conferral date for the respective cycle.
- Once a degree is conferred, the degree and date will be notated on an official Kean University transcript.
- Transcripts will not be released to graduates with active holds until all restrictions are resolved. Holds can be viewed by logging into your KeanWISE account. Upon resolving all holds, please contact the Office of the Registrar.
- A complimentary copy of your transcript will be sent from the Office of the Registrar to all eligible graduates approximately three months after the degree conferral date.
Names on diplomas will appear as they are listed on file with the university. This information is pre-populated on the degree application and cannot be changed by the applicant.
- Other name changes should be addressed via the Change of Name form. Only students who have already submitted an application for graduation may email this form and its required supplements to email@example.com.
- If you would like to have the name on file abbreviated for your diploma, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Official diplomas will be mailed from the vendor Kean employs approximately three months after the conferral date. Graduates will receive notification from the vendor via their Kean email addresses once their diploma has been mailed (diplomas are not distributed during the commencement exercises.)
- Students who participate in Commencement exercises will receive diploma covers at the ceremony. All others may pick up their diploma covers at the Office of the Registrar or Kean Ocean Administrative Office. Diploma covers will not be mailed.
- Diplomas will not be released to graduates with active holds until all restrictions are resolved. Holds can be viewed by logging into your KeanWISE account. Upon resolving all holds, please contact the Office of the Registrar. Restricted diplomas will be mailed to the Office of the Registrar and will be available for pick-up or mailing upon the resolution of all holds.
Replacement Diploma Ordering
- Graduates interested in obtaining a replacement copy of their diploma should complete a Request for a Replacement Diploma.
Original Diploma Pickup
If you would like to pick up your diploma after graduation and you have a hold on your account, you must:
- Clear any outstanding hold
- Contact email@example.com with instructions to where you wish to send your diploma
- If you wish to pick your diploma, consult our website for office hours
If you never picked up your diploma after graduation and you do not have any holds, you must:
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with instructions on where you wish to send your diploma. If you wish to pick up your diploma, consult our website for office hours.
If you are unsure if you have any holds, contact the Office of the Registrar at 908-73-REGME or login to your KeanWISE account.
- Kean University holds commencement exercises in May. January, May, and August candidates are invited to participate.
- Candidates will receive information via their Kean email addresses during the spring semester regarding cap and gown orders, location, guest information, etc.
- Please note: Participation in the commencement ceremony does not guarantee degree conferral. The Office of the Registrar must verify that all degree requirements have been met in order to officially confer a degree.
- Students may show their appreciation for a professor who made a special contribution to their education by submitting an application for Teacher of the Year to the Alumni Relations Office.