J. Barry Mascari, Ed.D.
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) with specialties in Mental Health
- Addictions, & School Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor (LCADC)
- Disaster Response Crisis Counselor (NJ Certified)
- Disaster and trauma
- Mass violence
- Treating trauma and related disorders
- Alcohol and drug prevention
- School counseling programs
- Brain-based interventions in schools
Teaching counseling is a developmental process and things unfold differently for each person. The classroom is an interactive and experiental process where hands-on experiences of some of what students will do as counselors is critical. I may have expertise but am not THE expert in everything as some of my students know more about certain areas than I - so we are a community of learners, as this process is never done. Learning is best accomplished through empathic, nurturing and patient environment that recognizes the complexities of being human. I remind students it's not where you start, it's where you finish as counselor preparation is a journey that we are on together.