Students are encouraged to seek external scholarships as additional financial assistance. We offer the information below as a reference for our students to start the research process.
Take Caution & Remember
- There are many scams associated with scholarships, so practice due diligence and research thoroughly.
- Steer clear of any company that requires you to pay money to search for scholarships.
- To help you determine if you may be viewing a potential scam, you may want to start here; https://studentaid.gov/resources/scams or https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/how-avoid-scholarship-and-financial-aid-scams
The sites below are in no way affiliated with Kean University, but are references to start your quest for scholarship support.
- Please have check made payable to "Kean University"
- Include the student's full name and ID# on the check
- Be sure the funding entity or bank is on the check
- When possible include a letter from the donor or foundation Indicating the semester and year to which the funds are to be applied
- Keep copies of checks and letter for your personal file
Know that the University reserves the right to make any adjustments to need-based aid as a result of receiving external scholarships.
Checks must be sent to:
Office of Student Accounting
Administration Building, Floor 3
1000 Morris Avenue
Union, NJ 07083
In some cases a check will follow the notification. If this is the case for you, please email (KUScholar@kean.edu) Scholarship Services a copy of the award letter as well as any accompanying information specifying the funding entity's guidelines. This way, a record of the pending award will be reflected in the student's KeanWise account. Once the payment is received, funds will be applied to the student account.
Depending on the external donor's specifications, an external scholarship can sometimes be moved across semesters to cover a previous or forthcoming balance. Donor approval must be granted in these situations, and the University reserves the right to adjust the funds from an external scholarship to coincide with any financial aid that a student may already be receiving. In the event that an external scholarship exceeds the cost of attendance, and again per the donor's criteria, a refund check could be issued. In these cases, the recipient is strongly encouraged to apply this refund to a forthcoming tuition payment or books.
It is the student's responsibility to follow up with donors on all external scholarship issues.
Know that we cannot process checks made out directly to a student, nor can we accept a check which lists a student as the co-payee.
Please email email@example.com with any questions about the external scholarship process.
Disclaimer: The resources on this page are provided as a courtesy to assist students with potential external scholarship opportunities and are not to be considered an endorsement by Kean University of any specific company or program. Although information is vetted prior to posting, Kean University cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information provided by third party scholarship providers in the links provided.