First Gen Scholars Mentorship Program
(PLEASE NOTE ALL OF OUR PROGRAMS FOR FALL 2020 WILL BE VIRTUAL. FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT ELVIS GYAN, MANAGING ASSISTANT DIRECTOR, AT EGYAN@KEAN.EDU)
Thank you for your participation in Kean University's First Generation Student Mentorship program. According to a recent U.S. Department of Education report, 33% of higher education students today are the first in their family to attend college.
We recognize that being the first to attend college can be a difficult and challenging transition. The Office of Student Success and Retention is here to support you. This program was developed to connect incoming first-generation students with alumni in an effort to provide an additional layer of support not only during their transition to college, but also in navigating their professional life after Kean.
What can you expect from the First Gen Scholars Mentorship Program?
- Programs, workshops, and seminars that will enhance your university experience facilitated by the Office of Student Success and Retention
- 1-1 mentorship by a Kean Alumni who will provide an additional layer of support and help you navigate Kean university
- Collaboration with a variety of campus partners to ensure you experience a smooth transition throughout your first year
- Ability to connect with other first generation college students and establish long lasting friendships
- First Generation Celebration Day/Week in November
- Access to a unique PATH in Cougar Link
- Fun, raffles, prizes, and much more!