Group Summer Scholars Research Program
Applications for the 2023 Group Summer Scholars Research Program is now CLOSED.
Deadline: March 10, 2023
JULY 10--AUGUST 3, 2023
The GSSRP is a hands on research experience aimed at attracting and developing talented students who are interested in pursuing an education in a STEM field. Participants work alongside faculty and staff on cutting-edge research projects in Scientific Visualization, Cancer Biology, Machine Learning, Developmental Biology and Modern Drug Discovery. By the completion of the programs, participants gain valuable technical skills and research experience, learn to work as part of a research team, develop a true appreciation of the scientific research process, and contribute first hand to the acquisition of new scientific knowledge. The 2023 program will also include additional programming with professional skills workshops, instrumentation demos, and a focus on college and career paths. For more information about the 2023 research streams click here.
The GSSRP is part of a comprehensive Research First Initiative to attract and retain high potential students in science and engineering. SIST is one of a small group of institutes across the nation that seeks to change the way we teach science and mathematics, by introducing students to authentic research early on and throughout the course of their education. By training students to conduct real research as part of a project team under the direction of faculty and graduate student mentors and in conjunction with their peers, students are provided with a unique learning environment that builds confidence and identity through accomplishment.
The program is open to current high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors (Classes of 2023, 2024, 2025). Please note that housing and transportation are not provided and participants are required to get themselves to/from the program each day.
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 10,2023
- Acceptances Released: Friday, April 14, 2023
- Registration Deadline: Monday, May 1, 2023 ($250.00 deposit due)
- Final Payment Due: Thursday, June 1, 2023
Program Cost: $1700.00
How to Apply:
- Complete the online application here. The application includes a letter of interest explaining the following:
- What field of science or math do you wish to study in college?
- Why are you interested in participating in the summer research program?
- What do you expect to gain from participating in the program?
- Submit a recommendation letter from a high school math or science teacher.
- Provide a copy of your high school transcript.
- If requesting a fee waiver, complete the application for financial assistance (included in the online application). Criteria for scholarships can be found here.
Students must commit to the entire program. If you cannot participate in the full program, you may not be selected.
For more information about the 2023 program or general queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org