Group Summer Scholars Research Program
We are currently in the process of planning for the 2022 GSSRP! Applications will open in early 2022 and the link to apply will be posted below once available.
The GSSRP is a hands on research experience aimed at attracting and developing talented students who are interested in pursuing an education in a STEM field. Participants work alongside faculty and staff on cutting-edge research projects in Analytical Chemistry, Scientific Visualization, Cancer Biology, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics and Modern Drug Discovery. By the completion of the programs, participants gain valuable technical skills and research experience, learn to work as part of a research team, develop a true appreciation of the scientific research process, and contribute first hand to the acquisition of new scientific knowledge.
The GSSRP is part of a comprehensive Research First Initiative to attract and retain high potential students in science and engineering. NJCSTM is one of a small group of institutes across the nation that seeks to change the way we teach science and mathematics, by introducing students to authentic research early on and throughout the course of their education. By training students to conduct real research as part of a project team under the direction of faculty and graduate student mentors and in conjunction with their peers, students are provided with a unique learning environment that builds confidence and identity through accomplishment.
The program is open to current high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors (Classes of 2022, 2023, 2024).
2022 Program Timeline: Tuesday, July 5 - Thursday, August 11 (Monday-Thursday)
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2022
- Acceptances Released: April 1, 2022
- Registration Deadline: April 15, 2022 ($250 deposit due)
- Final Payment Due: June 1, 2022
Program Cost: $1,700 (Fee waivers are available to low-income families and those with financial need.)
How to Apply:
- Complete the online application. A link to the application will be posted here as soon as it opens. The application includes a letter of interest explaining the following:
- What field of science or math do you wish to study in college?
- Why are you interested in participating in the summer research program?
- What do you expect to gain from participating in the program?
- Submit a recommendation letter from a high school math or science teacher.
- Provide a copy of your high school transcript.
- If requesting a fee waiver, complete the application for financial assistance (included in the online application). Criteria for scholarships can be found here.
Students must commit to the entire program. If you cannot participate in the full program, you may not be selected.
- Analytical Chemistry (IN-PERSON)
- Supervised Machine Learning (IN-PERSON)
- Introduction to Bioinformatics (REMOTE)
- Medicinal Chemistry (IN-PERSON)
- Molecular Cell Biology (IN-PERSON)
- Automated Pollen Detection Using Neural Networks (REMOTE)
- COVID-19 Genomic Data (REMOTE)
For detailed information about each of the research streams click here.
For more information about the 2022 program or general queries, please email email@example.com