Skip to main content

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


Q:  Where can I find a list of all the courses required by my intended major?

A:        For a list of all the courses you will need to complete to earn your degree, go to the CAS website ( and select your major from the CURRENT GUIDE SHEETS section.

Q:  Why is College Composition offered in different formats?
A:        Because the writing skills of entering freshmen vary, Kean does not have a “one-size-fits-all” freshman composition course.  Instead, College Composition is offered in a variety of formats designed to match students’ skills levels.  ENG 1030 is the three-credit, one-semester version of College Composition; ENG 1031/1032 is the six-credit, one-semester version; and ENG 1033/1034 is the six-credit, two-semester version.  The two “extended” versions of College Composition–ENG 1031/1032 and ENG 1033/1034–are designed for students whose placement test essays indicate that they should take the course in a format that provides for more intensive/extensive development of their writing skills.  (Three of the six credits earned in ENG 1031/1032 or ENG 1033/1034 are Supplemental University Instruction credits that do not count towards graduation.) 

Q:  Why are reading courses required or recommended for some students?
A:     Many University courses require that students master extensive and often complex assigned readings/texts.  In order to prepare students to succeed in such courses, reading courses are required or recommended for incoming freshmen whose Reading Comprehension scores on the placement test fall within certain ranges.

Q:  Why is CS 1501 recommended for some students?
A:     CS 1501 (College Reading and Study Skills) is recommended (but not required) for students with borderline scores (74-87) on the ACCUPLACER Reading Comprehension test. The recommendation will be noted on your Individual Score Report if your Reading Comprehension score falls within this range. While not required to take developmental non-credit reading, students in this category, would benefit from developing their reading and study skills strategies at the beginning of their college careers.  CS 1501 is a college-level course that earns three elective credits.  Most majors, except Education majors, have elective credits.

Q:  What college-level math course(s) will I be required to take?
A:      The college-level math course(s) you will be required to complete will depend upon your major.  All majors require at least one college-level math course.  Some majors, especially those under the College of Natural, Applied and Health Sciences and the College of Business and Public Administration, require a sequence of two or more math courses.  To view the specific requirements of your intended major, go to the CAS website ( and select your major from the CURRENT GUIDE SHEETS section.

Q:  Which courses have credits that do not count towards graduation?
A:        The credits earned in the developmental reading courses CS 0409 (Basic Reading Skills) and CS 0412 (Introduction to Academic Reading), the developmental math course MATH 0901 (Basic Algebra), and some English as a Second Language (ESL) courses, are developmental credits that do not count towards graduation or factor in your Grade Point Average (GPA).  In each of the “extended” six-credit versions of College Composition (ENG 1031/1032 and ENG 1033/1034), three of the six credits earned are Supplemental University Instruction credits that do not count towards graduation or factor in your GPA.  However, developmental and supplemental credits do count in your semester credit load; i.e., they do count in determining your full- or part-time status and therefore your tuition as well as your eligibility for housing, athletics, financial aid, etc.

Q:  Won’t I “fall behind” if I have to take credits that don’t count towards graduation?
A:        Many students–at Kean as well as most other colleges/universities–have to take developmental- or supplemental-credit courses at the beginning of their college careers.  Such courses are required of students because this initial investment in skills development has proven to be critical to students’ success and persistence in college.  The most common way students “catch up” on credits is by taking courses during one or more summers during their undergraduate years.

Q: What should I do if I am entitled to accommodations in my classes due to a documented learning disability?
A:        You should contact Ms. Donna Dingle, Disability Services; Downs Hall (DN 122), (908) 737-4910 or e-mail

Q:  Who should I contact if I have questions regarding my Math course placement?
A:        If you have any questions about your Math course placement, you should call the School of General Studies at (908) 737-0330—before registration.

Q: Who should I contact if I have additional questions about my placement test results/course placements?
A:        If you have additional questions regarding your placement test results/course placements, you should call the Placement Testing Office at (908) 737-0340—before registration.