Emily Filardo, Ph.D.
- Social psychology
- Psychology of gender and sexuality
- Psychology of prejudice and racism and of anti-racism
- Applications of psychological theory and research to educational settings and pedagogy
- Applications of psychological theory and research to social justice issues and social justice activism
- Theoretical perspectives and research evidence on the relationships among evolution, biology, human development and socialization.
Students must be treated with respect. They need a safe and supportive atmosphere in which they can flourish as thinkers. I see my role as teaching, not judging, my students. I want to help my students take increasing pride in a perception of themselves as serious thinkers. In all my classes, I emphasize the ways in which our society can better support healthy human psychological development and functioning, through attention to issues of justice, power, equality, democracy, fairness, empathy, respect and compassion.