Student FAQ's and How to Register
This page lists the steps required to register with our office and apply for accommodations and provides answers to Frequently Asked Questions about registration and accommodations.
How to Register with OAS and Apply for Accommodations
- Click on the OAS Home Page and scroll to Request Accommodations - carefully review the Important Application Deadlines, Additional Notes, Eligibility Determination and Accommodation Lead Time sections for deadlines and special information.
- Review Documentation Requirements and adhere to the requirements.
- Complete the Student Intake Application Form (aka Intake Application).
- In the Student Intake Application, be sure to add your supporting documents. Note: appointments will not be scheduled until the correct supporting documents are provided with the intake application. Remember, the documents you must upload are explained in the Document Requirements section.
- Monitor your Kean University email account. OAS will send you an appointment email. If you do not receive the email within four days from your application submission date, please email us at: email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Q: What happens after I submit my intake application?
A: Your intake application will be reviewed after you submit it through the OAS web portal. When your application is complete (you have provided the correct supporting documents and included the requested information) an OAS staff member will contact you by email to schedule an intake appointment for you. Send OAS an email if you do not receive an OAS email within four days.
During the intake appointment (offered by phone, or video at this time) you will review your information with an OAS staff member. Additional documentation may be requested at this time if sufficient documentation is not provided. If your application and related accommodation requests are approved during the intake interview, you will receive your accommodation document (aka Letter of Accommodation) through your Kean University email account generally within 24 hours. Please check your email spam folder as the email may land in the spam folder. Email OAS if you do not receive your accommodation document.
Q: What do I do after I receive my accommodation document?
A: After you receive your accommodation document, you will save the document to your computer and then email the document to each of your professors. In your email please be sure to request a response and acknowledgement from your professor for the receipt of your accommodation document. Save the emails to your computer.
If you have extended time on exams, please follow the instructions for accommodated testing on the Accommodated Test Scheduling web page.
Q: What do I do if the professor does not understand my accommodations?
A: Please contact OAS as soon as possible by email and/or telephone and OAS will contact your professor to explain the accommodation process.
Q: Do I need to reapply every year?
A: No. You only need to reapply if your disability/condition has changed.
Q: I am taking the PRAXIS/GRE/LSAT/GMAT etc.; how do I apply for accommodation testing with the exam company?
A: Go to the testing company website and find the accommodations section; this section will provide you with the information you need.