The Office of Accessibility Services strives to increase disability and access awareness throughout the campus community and beyond in a manner that is consistent with the current social model of disability services. OAS is committed to ensuring the full participation of individuals with disabilities according to law.
The Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) is committed to ensuring equal access and an accessible learning environment for all Kean University community members and to ensure the full participation of persons with disabilities according to the law. OAS strives to empower students to achieve academic success as well as personal and professional growth through the development of independence and self-advocacy. OAS aims to promote wellness, accessibility, equity, inclusion and diversity and to increase disability and accessibility awareness throughout the campus community and beyond.
The Office of Accessibility Services is located on the Kean Union campus in Whiteman Hall First Floor (Temporary Location)
Summer Office Hours: 8:15 AM to 5:30 PM Monday through Thursday
For tutoring, please sign up with TutorTrac or email: email@example.com. For mental health issues and concerns, please contact the Kean University Counseling Center email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To request accommodations, please see below.
Students who seek support services from the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) must be enrolled Kean University students and provide a current class schedule. Students are required to self-disclose their disability and submit current documentation to verify eligibility as defined under applicable law. To meet this requirement, documentation must be dated within the last five years and must address the present need for accommodations.
This documentation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in addition to meeting with an OAS team member to answer any questions. Academic accommodations are designed to provide equal access to course content while maintaining the academic standards that are required in all classes. The University may deny an accommodation, academic adjustment or request for assistive technology if determined to be unreasonable, or if the modification fundamentally alters an academic program.
Important Application Deadlines
Deadline for the Fall semester August 15th for Academic and Housing accommodation requests
Deadline for the Spring semester December 15th for Academic and Housing accommodation requests
Deadline for the Summer semester May 1st for Academic and Housing accommodation request
Please note that providing a request as soon as possible will enable our office to process the requests in a timely manner.
How to Apply
To request accommodations from the Office of Accessibility Services:
- Review the disability Documentation Requirements and complete the Student Intake Application (hosted by the Symplicity Accommodate application - KU student ID and KU email are required).
- Be sure to upload documentation of your disability with this application.
- When submitting supplemental documentation such as the items below, please ensure they are current within five years of the current year.
- Educational or Psychological evaluations, IEPs or 504 plans from prior education settings,
- Letters of Accommodation from previous institutions (Transfer or Graduate students).
- Once you have submitted your application and documentation, an OAS team member will send you an email requesting an initial meeting. During this meeting, reasonable accommodations will be discussed.
Additional Information for Temporary Disability, Meal Plan Exemption and Emotional Support Animal Requests:
- Students requesting short term accommodations due to a temporary disability must provide documentation of the temporary disability from the office of the treating medical professional via the Disability Verification Form for Medical Providers.
- Students requesting a meal plan exemption due to a medical circumstance must complete the Meal Plan Exemption Request Form - Medical and submit along with supporting documentation outlined on the form.
- Students requesting a meal plan exemption due to a non-medical circumstance must complete the Meal Plan Exemption Request Form - Non-Medical and submit it along with the supporting documentation outlined on the form.
- Students requesting that an Emotional Support Animal be permitted to reside on campus with them must consult the On Campus Animal Information pages to understand requirements and responsibilities.
Eligibility Determination and Accommodation Lead Time
The eligibility determination process is not a same day process. However, we will work diligently to provide accommodations in a timely manner.
Please submit your application and documentation as early as possible. Accommodations such as alternate text formats, notetaking services or access to assistive technology may entail longer lead times to implement. Once approved, accommodations are not retroactive and become effective per the date of the Letter of Accommodation.
Please call (908) 737-4910, or email the OAS at email@example.com with any questions.