Office of Accessibility Services
Please submit your application and documentation for Fall 2021 Accommodations as soon as possible !!
Summer Schedule Note: The office is closed Fridays through August 20th.
Students who seek support services from the Office of Accessibility Services (OAS) must be registered Kean University students with a current schedule. Students are required to self-disclose their disability and submit current documentation to verify eligibility as defined under applicable law. To meet this requirement, documentation must be dated within the last five years and must address the present need for accommodations. This documentation will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis in conjunction with a personal intake interview. Academic accommodations are designed to provide equal access to course content while maintaining the academic standards that are required in all classes. The University may deny an accommodation, academic adjustment or request for assistive technology if determined to be unreasonable, or if the modification fundamentally alters an academic program.
To request accommodations from the Office of Accessibility Services:
- Review the disability Documentation Guidelines and complete the Student Intake Application (hosted by the Symplicity Accommodate application - KU student ID and KU email are required).
- Be sure to upload documentation of your disability with this application.
- When submitting supplemental documentation such as the items below, include a Documentation Cover Sheet for each:
- Educational or Psychological evaluations, IEPs or 504 plans from prior education settings,
- Letters of Accommodation from previous institutions (Transfer or Grad students).
- Once you have submitted your application and documentation, look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org which will provide the date and time of your intake meeting. At this meeting, any reasonable accommodations that may be appropriate for your access to college classes will be discussed.
- Students requesting short term accommodations due to a temporary disability condition should follow the process outlined above.
- Students requesting housing accommodations for the fall semester should submit their application and documentation by June 1.
- Students requesting that an Emotional Support Animal be permitted to reside on campus should consult the On Campus Animal Information pages to understand requirements and responsibilities.
Eligibility Determination and Accommodation Lead Time
The eligibility determination process is not a same day process.
Please submit your application and documentation a minimum of four weeks in advance of the desired accommodation start date. Complex accommodations such as alternate text formats, notetaking services or access to accessible technology will require longer than four weeks to arrange. Once approved, accommodations are not retroactive.
Please call (908) 737-4910, or email the OAS at email@example.com with any questions.
For quick access to the OAS forms, please click on the links below:
- Adaptive Testing Services Form (PDF)
- Disability Verification Form for Medical Providers (MS Word)
- Disability Verification Form for Mental Health Providers (MS Word)
- Disability Verification Form for Traumatic Brain Injury (MS Word)
- Documentation Cover Sheet (MS Word)
- Student Intake Application (hosted by the Symplicity Accommodate application)