- BOTH the PTCAS application and the Kean University CAS Graduate Supplemental Application MUST be completed and "verified" by the deadline in order for the application to be fully reviewed.
- Bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) from an accredited college or university
- A minimum undergraduate cumulative GPA of 3.0
- GPA of 3.0 or higher with specific course prerequisites
- Pass/fail grades will be accepted for Spring 2020 semester from students whose university/college mandated a pass/fail grade.The student will be required to submit documentation of the mandate AND the letter grade the student would have earned in the course. The grade will not be calculated in either the prerequisite or overall GPA.
- Official copies of ALL post-secondary transcripts
- Evidence of satisfactory completion (within the previous 10 years) of all course prerequisites (grade of "C" or higher) or plan to complete the specific program prerequisites prior to matriculation
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- One letter must be from a higher education professor/instructor.
- One letter may be from a coach, supervisor, or person who knows you in a professional capacity. Personal references are not acceptable.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score taken within 5 years of the time of application
- Doctorate in Physical Therapy- PTCAS GRE Institution Code 7444
- Physical therapy observation and/or experience hours are not required
- Official TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo score reports (international students)
- Course Prerequisites
Each candidate seeking consideration for acceptance into the Doctor of Physical Therapy program must show evidence of having completed the following courses within the previous 10 years and with a grade of “C” or better. (See above regarding Spring 2020 pass/fail grades)
- 3 credits- English Composition
- 3 credits- General Psychology
- 3 credits- Social Science (upper level Psychology, or any Sociology or Philosophy)
- 8 credits- Biological Sciences (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in biology
- 8 credits- Anatomy and Physiology (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in A&P OR Anatomy with labs and Physiology with labs (human preferred)
- 8 credits- Chemistry (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in chemistry
- 8 credits- Physics (with labs)-A two-semester sequence in physics
- 3 credits- Statistics
Statement on Prerequisites
- Applicants may submit an application with up to 2 outstanding prerequisites.
Statement on Advanced Placement Exams
- AP credit will be accepted for fulfillment of a listed prerequisite if the credit has been accepted by the undergraduate institution and the credit appears on the applicant’s transcript for the degree granting institution. Kean will not review AP documentation or consider AP credit that was not accepted by the degree granting institution
Statement on Retakes
SOPT will accept the higher earned grade of a maximum of 2 attempts for the course. Multiple retakes of prerequisite courses is not recommended.
The Department of Physical Therapy does not allow applicants to defer their admission. If you have any questions or concerns with this policy, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.
The Kean University Department of Physical Therapy does not accept transfer credits for courses taken at another physical therapist education program nor will the Department of Physical Therapy grant credit for classes taken in other graduate level programs.