Emergency Funding for COVID-19 Disruptions
Applying for CARES Act Grants
Kean University received funds through the federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide emergency grants to students whose educational expenses were impacted by the coronavirus public health emergency.
Kean University will award one-time grants to eligible applicants. To qualify:
- You must be currently enrolled for the Fall 2020 term as a matriculated Kean student in good academic standing; and
- You must have experienced a financial hardship(s) related to the need for additional technology or course materials as a result of classes moving online during the Fall 2020 semester due to the COVID-19 global pandemic; and
- You must have successfully completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2020-2021 school year. (Students must meet the basic eligibility requirements to receive Federal Student Aid. If you haven’t already, complete the FAFSA for the 2020-2021 school year.)
Based on guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, the following students are ineligible for these emergency grants:
- International and undocumented (DACA) students are not considered eligible as they are noncitizens under the basic requirements for Federal Student Aid.
- Kean Online students who are exclusively enrolled in an online program in Fall 2020.
- Students who previously received a CARES Act Emergency Grant from Kean.
To apply, Kean students must log into KeanWISE and complete the online CARES Act Emergency Relief Grant Application, located under the Financial Aid Self Service link. Applicants will receive their notice of eligibility within seven (7) business days of applying. Eligible applicants will receive additional information on viewing their award and receiving the funds.
Award amounts will vary, based on each student’s unique circumstances. Kean is committed to distributing the CARES Act funds it has received expeditiously to as many eligible students in need as possible.
The deadline to apply for the CARES Act Grant for Fall 2020 is November 30, 2020. However, applications will be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis and may be exhausted before November 30. Students may only submit one application.