When students and/or their families experience a change in financial circumstances, the information on the FAFSA may no longer accurately reflect their current financial situation. In some cases, the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services may be able to adjust income information based on these special circumstances.
If students and/or their families have been affected by national emergencies, like COVID-19, or natural disasters, like flooding, they may consider requesting a Special Circumstances review.
A review does not guarantee additional financial support, but does allow the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services to consider any loss of wages or out-of-pocket expenses incurred as a result of the incident.
Examples of Special Circumstances may include, but not limited to:
- Job termination or loss of income (due to loss of job and/or reduction in hours worked)
- Divorce or separation after the FAFSA was completed
- Death of a parent or spouse after the FAFSA was completed
- Reduced earnings due to disability or natural disaster
- Loss or reduction of untaxed income or benefits
- Loss or reduction of child support/alimony received
Steps to request a Special Circumstances review:
1. Be sure you have already completed the FAFSA (fafsa.gov)
2. To determine if you qualify to submit an appeal for Special Consideration, you may do so by:
- Schedule an appointment with a Financial Aid Counselor
- Send an email FinAid@kean.edu
- Call us at (908) 737-0400
3. If a Financial Aid Counselor recommends you apply for Special Circumstance consideration, you will be sent an email detailing instructions and the application.
4. Once your application and required documentation are received, our office will review your application. This process may take 2-4 weeks.
- The Special Circumstances review cannot be processed until all documentation is received.
- A Special Circumstance review does not guarantee additional aid.
- Therefore, students are responsible for all charges while their requests are being considered.
- All decisions are final.