ORSP provides leadership and support to assist faculty and staff to compete successfully for external funding to conduct research and scholarship; engage in creative work; develop curriculum; advance student learning, aid recruitment and retention; and, support campus programming and community outreach.
Kean University seeks external funding to support research, scholarship and creative activity that will advance knowledge in the traditional disciplines, improve skills in professional areas, and integrate research and teaching to enhance student learning. Projects are expected to support Kean’s mission of excellence, equity and access.
All proposal documents must be submitted to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) a minimum of seven days before the funder’s due date. This internal deadline allows sufficient time to review specific content and formatting requirements and to ensure the budget conforms with the funder’s requirements and with Kean University policies.
Proposals that have not been submitted to ORSP by the internal deadline will not be accepted. There may be instances when this deadline cannot be followed, such as late notice from a sponsor or a collaborator, and these will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
External Funding Guidelines
- All letters of intent, full proposals and contracts must be submitted by the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP); faculty or staff cannot directly apply for grants or other external funding. However, faculty may apply directly for funding that is awarded to the individual and not to the institution. Examples may include certain fellowships and awards from professional associations. Contact ORSP with any questions prior to submitting an application.
- Faculty or staff cannot partner with or enter into any agreements with external organizations, schools or school districts without prior authorization from ORSP.
- No member of the University community is authorized to solicit funding from foundations, corporations, alumni or individuals either formally or informally. The Kean University Foundation accepts all private donations in accordance with the donor's wishes and for the benefit of the University.
- Part-time faculty or staff must partner with a full-time member of the University community to apply for external funding.
Proposal Submission Guidelines
For proposals responding to an announcement or request for proposal from an external funding agency:
The prospective Principal Investigator (PI) should contact ORSP to schedule a planning meeting. This should be done as early as possible to allow time for registering new PIs, developing budgets, obtaining letters of support, etc. As soon as possible after a decision to apply for funding, ORSP will meet with faculty/staff to review the proposal guidelines, plan the proposal submission process, review the required supporting documents, and discuss the development of budgets and budget narratives that fit funding agency guidelines and University policies. Interested faculty/staff members have the primary responsibility for writing the proposal narrative. ORSP will aid faculty/staff in the preparation and writing of the proposal. ORSP will prepare all necessary forms for the proposal. ORSP will facilitate and complete all submissions.
For investigator-initiated proposals:
The prospective Principal Investigator (PI) should discuss his or her idea with his or her department chair and dean.
- The PI must complete the Grant Concept Review Form, obtain the signature of his or her dean, and submit the form to the ORSP.
- ORSP will contact the prospective PI for an appointment to discuss the proposal.
- If a funding source was not identified by the PI, ORSP will complete a search for potential funders.
- ORSP will submit the proposal on behalf of the PI.