Office of Teacher Certification and Alternate Route Programs
The Office of Teacher Certification and Alternate Route Programs endorses the licensure for candidates seeking New Jersey certification for Initial Teacher Programs(BA/MA Tracks), as well as Endorsement Areas in English as a Second Language, Early Childhood P-3, Bilingual Education and Teacher of Student with Disabilities. In addition, all Education Leadership and Education Services Programs will also be endorsed by this office.
Certification applications must be submitted to the Office of Teacher Certification in order for candidates to receive a license from the New Jersey Department of Education.
Alternate Route candidates seeking certification are required to enroll in Kean University’s approved non-degree track for Early Childhood, P-3 or English as a Second Language, K-12.
After the completion of required coursework, the School Districts and the Department of Education will award the proper license for the certification in Early Childhood or English as a Second Language.
Kean University has the following Non-Degree Alternate Route Programs: Early Childhood, P-3 and English as a Second Language, K-12.
Admission requirements are:
- The completion of a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree or Master of Arts or Master of Science degree with an overall 3.0 GPA ( If you graduated prior to September 2016- the GPA of 2.75 is acceptable)
- A copy of your CE, Certificate of Eligibility from the Department of Education
- Proof of completion of the 50 hour Pre-Service Workshop. Provide the signed copy of the Verification of Program Completion form. IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED THE 50 HOUR PRE-SERVICE WORKSHOP, YOU MAY DO SO BY ENROLLING IN THIS REQUIREMENT AT KEAN UNIVERSITY. CLICK HERE TO ENROLL
- Official copies of transcripts from all Colleges attended
- Personal Statement
- Interview with the Office of Teacher Certification and Alternate Programs before enrolling in classes. An Intake Teacher Readiness Questionnaire will be provided.
- TOEFL or IELTS score reports