Thank you for considering Kean University as your Educator Preparation Program (EPP). Changes have been made regarding the process for submission of the Educators certification application . As of May 31, 2022, the New Jersey Department of Education has implemented a new database system resulting in a new expedited process for Educators to pay and receive their certification. Educator is the new term for candidate, graduate/employee. The old system required the Colleges and Universities to create an application for the Educator and pay the NJDOE with the fees collected from the Educator. Moving forward with the new system, rather than the College creating the application and forwarding the fees, they will now nominate the Educator and the Educator will complete an application online and pay the fees directly to the NJDOE. Note the word Nomination replaces the word Recommendation.
Although the Department of Education has made changes to the database, Kean University will require students to submit a certification application WITH required documents. Documents would include Praxis test results, ACTFL OPI/WPT proficiency test results. Additionally, Graduate educators may be required to submit letters of employment on official letterhead from a Principal, District Superintendent or from the District’s Office of Human Resources. The letter must include years of employment and the title of your position.
Praxis tests are required for the following majors below. Scores should have a test taker ID, Social Security number and sent to Kean University code 2517 and NJDOE Code 7666. Click HERE for a sample score sheet.
- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Middle School endorsement
- Speech Pathologist
- All Secondary Education subject areas
Flex and Limited CEAS
Students who are utilizing the Flex or Limited CEAS must attach the letter granting you permission to use the Flex. Students who are using the Limited CEAS are encouraged to pass the Praxis 2 exam to obtain a Regular CEAS. If you decide to use the Limited CEAS option, you will need to attach the Limited CEAS contract with your application for state certification.
LETTER OF EMPLOYMENT AND WORK EXPERIENCE
Graduate programs listed below are required to attach a letter of employment indicating the amount of years teaching to be eligible for the certificate. Click HERE for a sample letterhead.
- Director of Counseling: 3 years
- Learning Disabilities Teacher Consult (LDTC): 3 years
- Reading Specialist: 2 years
- Principal: 5 years
- Supervisor: 3 years
Please send in your certification application via email to our office email or staff at firstname.lastname@example.org, to Ms. Basubas email@example.com, or to Ms. Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org. When sending your documents, please scan them. Do not send us a photo. A photo shot is hard to read and on many occasions we will not be able to open the forms.
The Office of Teacher Certification will apply to the NJDOE for your certification once your degree/program has been conferred AND confirmed on your official transcript.
Your NJ teaching credential is only retrievable online after you have accepted your nomination. Paper certifications are NO LONGER being issued as of May 15, 2015. You can check under My Certifications when your certification has been awarded and can be printed. You can also check in this link: https://njdoe.my.site.com/manage/s/
For questions, email email@example.com or call (908) 737-3800.
Here are the steps required during your final semester to get NJ certifications underway:
- Apply for graduation - As a program completer for the current semester, log into your KeanWISE account and select “apply for graduation.” This step is required, whether applying for completion of a degree program or a certification program or both. Each degree/certification program is handled individually so be sure to apply accordingly. Students will be charged a $100 graduation fee upon applying for their degree program. Note: Certification fees are separate from graduation fees.
Degree Candidates: If you are only getting certified with no degree involved, your record must be closed and you are required to fill out a graduation form. The link below will open to Kean Wise. There you will click on “Apply for Graduation”. The application is open specific times during the year. The First week of June through the first week of September for January Graduation and the second week of October through the First week in February, for May and August Graduation.
GCT Candidates: If you are only getting certified with no degree involved, your record must be closed and you are required to fill out a graduation form. There is no fee. The link below will open to Kean Wise. There you will click on “Apply for Graduation”. The application is open at specific times during the year. The First week of June through the first week of September for January Graduation and the second week of October through the First week in February, for May and August Graduation.
The Registrar’s Office emails all GCT and Degree candidates with this information. If you are experiencing issues with the graduation application, please contact Ms. Rosa Cameli at firstname.lastname@example.org . This is the link: https://www.kean.edu/offices/registrars-office/graduation-information/graduate-certificate-gct-application-instructions
2. Submit an application for state certification – Kean students must apply for NJ state certification through our office for May, August, or January graduates or within one year of completing their corresponding Kean Education program(s). Students will need to submit an application for state certification. If in the meantime you have further certification questions, please email Ms. Basubas at email@example.com or Ms. Harris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadlines for Applications
May and August – March 31st
January – December 1st
3. The nomination process – Nominations begin after your record is closed or degrees are posted by the Registrar’s Office. The nomination process will take place in the Office of Teacher Certification using the information you provided on your application. This process will generate a nomination email to the email account associated with your NJEdCert account, (which should be the same email address you have on file with the NJDOE.) The nomination email will contain a link to take you back into your NJEdCert account so you can accept the nomination(s). This new nomination process is the fastest, most expedited way to achieve certification.
4. What to Expect – DO NOT CREATE AN ACCOUNT PRIOR TO BEING NOMINATED BY KEAN UNIVERSITY. After the university nominates an Educator for a certificate, you will receive two emails from NJEDCERT system indicating: 1. You were nominated and 2. Asking you to log in and create an account. This process will be emphasized in the emails you will receive. (CHECK YOUR SPAM FOR EMAILS FROM THE NJEDCERT). Make sure you use the email on file, if you already have certificates from the past or if you applied for a substitute certificate. Creating a new email will delay the process. Make sure you also use your legal name as well. Go to your email and it will show you that Kean nominated you for certification. This email invites you to click on www.nj.gov/education/certification.
5. How To Claim Nomination – Proceed with the following directions in order to claim EPP Nomination:
- Log into your NJedCert account.
- Click the APPLY NOW blue button at the top center of the page.
- When you click on the button you should be brought to a page notifying you that your college has nominated you for a certificate.
- Asked - Would you like to claim it?
- Answer YES and then follow the remaining prompts.
- After you pay, go back to the home page where you will see your certification listed.
- Click on “License ID” to view your certification. Make a screen shot of the certification approvals.
NOTE: Click on Instructions for Application For State Certification Nomination for a detailed step by step process.
Hours: Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Phone: (609) 292-2070
Additional certifications: Applicants must apply directly with the state for additional certifications for which they may qualify but did not complete a formal Kean program.
Out-of-state licensure: If you plan to relocate to another state, these states require verification of program completion (VOPC) forms, you may email these forms in a PDF format to email@example.com as needed. You must provide your student teaching/clinical/practicum information along with Praxis scores. In addition, you must provide a permanent address for the office to mail you a hard copy with a University seal.