Licensing - New Jersey Social Work Board
CHECKLIST FOR STREAMLINED LSW APPLICATION PROCESS
Approved by the Board of Social Work Examiners (BSWE)
- Apply to take ASWB Masters level exam:
- Download and print the Pre-approval Form from the BSWE Web site. This is the pre-approval form for the Masters level (LSW) exam.
- Send notarized pre-approval form, other documents and $75 check to the BSWE. Money will be credited toward license application fee. Request accommodations form (ADA or ESL) if necessary and complete/send. Also include 18.75 for Background Check.
- Receive approval to take exam and LSW Application for Licensure by mail from the BSWE. It will say “Fee Waived” because you’ve already paid $75. Begin to complete this application immediately but do not submit until you pass the exam.
- Register for and take ASWB Masters level exam: $260
- Contact ASWB (www.aswb.org or 888.579.3926) and register for the Masters exam.
- Pay exam fee and notify them about any accommodations approved by the BSWE.
- Receive an Authorization to Test letter from ASWB via email. Print and take this letter with you to the testing site. You will not be admitted without it.
- Follow emailed instructions to schedule your exam. Keep all information about your exam appointment.
- Take 2 valid forms of ID to the testing site. One must be a valid, non-expired, government-issued ID with photo and signature. The other must be valid and non-expired with your signature. Without these, you cannot take the exam and your fees will not be refunded.
- Take the exam. You will receive your unofficial test score that day. Keep this document and send a copy with your Application for Licensure. You must pass this exam before you apply for your license.
- Apply for License (LSW):
- Complete Application for Licensure as soon as possible. Keep copies of everything you send for your files.
- Mail completed Application with unofficial report of exam score to BSWE (address is on the Application).
- BSWE staff will review your application and notify you if anything is missing.
- If you have been fingerprinted for another professional credential through the Division of Consumer Affairs (including for your NJ CSW), your fingerprints will need to be resubmitted to update the Criminal Background History Check (CBHC) as explained in the application.
- If you have not been fingerprinted for another professional credential through the Division of Consumer Affairs, BSWE will mail requirements for fingerprinting. Follow instructions to be fingerprinted in order to complete your CBHC. Do this ASAP. It can take several weeks for the BSWE to get results.
- At NJ schools, the Dean/Director usually sends an official letter to the BSWE after graduation. It lists all students who received their MSW degree. If your school is not in NJ or doesn’t send this letter, you will need to send a final transcript with your application.
- When these steps are done, then the BSWE can approve any fully completed application for licensure. After that, you will receive a letter stating that your application has been approved and asking that you send the final part of your licensing fee. Send a check for $160 to the licensing fee to the BSWE.
- Check the BSWE Web site: https://newjersey.mylicense.com/verification/. When a license number is listed with your name, you are officially licensed and may begin to work within the scope of practice of an LSW. For details, click on http://tinyurl.com/NJSWRegs13-44G, then ignore the “Please Read” and LexisNexis section. Scroll down to Subchapter 3.2 - Practice as an LSW; scope.
- Your license will be mailed to you once it is printed. This can take 6-8 weeks, times may change according to COVID-related delays.